Author Topic: Aliases problem (SOLVED)  (Read 3994 times)

SorlaK

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
Aliases problem (SOLVED)
« on: January 31, 2012, 10:53:50 pm »
Hi guys i almost end setting up my server with zentyal 2.2 and so i was traying to use the /etc/aliase file but when i try to send an email to postmaster@mydomain.xx i get this
User unknown in virtual mailbox table

i fallow what this user did http://forum.zentyal.org/index.php?topic=6054.0 but so far no luck

and this is the way that i setup this in main.cf.mas

alias_maps = $alias_database, hash:/var/lib/mailman/data/aliases

alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
local_recipient_maps = proxy:unix:passwd.byname $alias_maps

Any idea here?Thanks for  your time and regards
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 10:50:34 pm by SorlaK »

christian

Re: Aliases problem
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 11:13:26 pm »
Sorry if my question is a stupid one but why do you prefer to use /etc/aliase instead of defining aliases in Zentyal itself?
To me, Zentyal's main advantage is capability to manage everything (well... almost) using Web GUI instead of command line.
If want you need is alias feature, does it matter to have aliases in LDAP rather than flat file in operating system?  ???

SorlaK

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 11:20:49 pm »
No question is stupid, the problem is there i already have a large aliases file in my previus server since is to big it will take me a lifetime do the same by clicking in the web-gui.  that is way i need the /etc/aliases file instead.

SorlaK

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 11:50:19 pm »
Well it seam that only work in one way since iam reciving mail from root but still can send any to it, any clue?

christian

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 11:51:42 pm »
Thus why not importing your large file in LDAP, one shot, then manage it using web GUI if needed?

SorlaK

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 11:57:39 pm »
yeahh but i had no clue how to do that.can helpme with it?

christian

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 12:11:23 am »
This is quite simple:
Aliases are stored in (Zentyal) LDAP as entries in "ou=mailalias,ou=postfix,dc=.....(your server here)"
One entry per alias, RDN is "mail" attribute, containing the alias, while uid and maildrop contain entry alias points to.

mail: alias@your_domain
maildrop: mail_address@your_domain
objectClass: CourierMailAlias & account
uid: entry related to this alias (from is "uid@your_domain")

Build an LDIF file containing all alias you want to import and then import it using either tool JXplorer or even LDAP comand line.

SorlaK

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 12:12:41 am »
thanks for the tip.I will update the post if i manage to do this thanks again for you time.Regards

SorlaK

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 09:36:48 pm »
Maybe i should put this in the begining, but i need to use the same alias for mulptiples account so the first solutions dosent work for me it must be like the usual aliases.db so i guess i will follow this http://forum.zentyal.org/index.php?topic=5861.0 seems ok but i will like to know why i can recieve mail from aliases created from /etc/aliases like postmaster but no send any to them.

christian

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 10:35:19 pm »
Sorlak, do not take it the wrong way but "same alias for multiple account" has very little meaning from a mail standpoint I mean.
You may want to have multiple accounts accessing same mailbox or mail delivered to multiple accounts but this is NOT an alias.
In such case, defining mail address fro group and sending mail to this address does the trick.

SorlaK

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 11:39:43 pm »
So i have a error concept, no?I know that i may offtopic here already but can you explain them how it call what i was trying to acomplish here.?Regars and thanks for your time. 

christian

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2012, 08:38:53 am »
Well, concepts can be discussed at length and it-s quite often that you can't say one is 100% right while the other is 100% wrong.
This is why, working with customers, I ask them to express their needs from an end user perspective rather than using technical wording.

In your case, you start with "alias" word but looking further, you want to distribute mail sent to one single address to multiple recipients. Am I correct?
If yes, then your need is similar to distribution list feature. In order to decide whenever you do need distribution list or if mail address associated to group is suitable, we should go one step further and check:
- how group is expended
- are group members mail addresses visible once mail received? Does it matter?
- How to reply? to Who?

Here again, from theoretical standpoint, approach is not to play with technical concepts but to describe what your needs are.
My view is a bit truncated however: enough debate with the pure theoretical stuff  :-[ If you know that, at the end, you will do with Zentyal, another way is to look at Zentyal feature and select the one suiting the best, perhaps with some trade-offs. This assumes you understand impacts of choices you make.