Author Topic: Network Interfaces Order  (Read 2312 times)

jcsanchez

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Network Interfaces Order
« on: December 07, 2010, 07:02:39 pm »
I am new at Zentyal and I think is a powerfull networking resource, not to be mentioned as "small business UTM Gateway", I think it is more powerfull than that.

I've been trying it for the last couple of weeks, and I have found it very interesting, but I have a question regarding the network interfaces order.

The Zentyal OS, recognized all of the 10 ETH network cards that I have on my box, the thing is that our faceplate for the box (the boxes are rack mountable) comes with the names of the interface on top of the phisical interface (from left to righ, as ET0, ETH1, ETH2, ETC), but the OS recognized the interfaces on disorder from left to right. What we need is to reorder the interfaces as we need, so it can be phisically on order (as the box comes) and logically in order.

Josep

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
Re: Network Interfaces Order
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 06:10:07 pm »
I don't recall seeing any option in Zentyal to do this.
I believe that the name assignation is done at a lower level by "udev", the Linux Device Manager.
Look in your "/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules" file.

Mine contains:
Code: [Select]
# This file was automatically generated by the /lib/udev/write_net_rules
# program, run by the persistent-net-generator.rules rules file.
#
# You can modify it, as long as you keep each rule on a single
# line, and change only the value of the NAME= key.

# PCI device 0x10ec:0x8168 (r8169)
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="48:5b:39:a8:40:3a", ATTR{dev_id}=="0x0", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="eth*", NAME="eth0"

# USB device 0x14b2:0x3c06 (usb)
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="00:80:5a:51:d7:77", ATTR{dev_id}=="0x0", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="wlan*", NAME="wlan0"

Here you can add your cards and assign the name by MAC address at will.

jcsanchez

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 04:34:38 pm »
josep, thanks for the info, you are right, this is on that file. I browsed for it on the graphical interface, but it does not allows me to modify it, even if I try to change the permissions on the specific file, it says "permission denied".

I believe that I must be logged into the box as root, but I don't know the root password.

If you have changed this file, please let me know how it must be done, since I dont know how, also I am new at Linux, since we have managed everything on linux based, via graphical interface.

Thanks in advance

Josep

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 04:45:48 pm »
You can edit that file with "sudo nano /etc/udev/..."
This will require your password, which you already know.
I not an expert on this, by any means, it is just that I have committed enough mistakes and at some point I had to visit that file ;-)

I don't know if there is a more elegant solution. If this is something that you are going to do only once, you can live with writing that file by hand (and making a backup to your home folder, afterwards, just in case).
You must know the MAC addresses of your NICs. Then you can copy each line:
Code: [Select]
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="48:5b:39:a8:40:3a", ATTR{dev_id}=="0x0", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="eth*", NAME="eth0"

(in nano, place the cursor over that line and press Ctrl+K+K to copy, and Ctrl+K+U to paste)
En each line, replace the MAC address and the NAME with your desired values.

johnny bravo

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 02:20:09 am »
hi, im a medium user in zentyal and a have a problem..l need to connect 3 internet providers, is it possible to do in zentyal?? l'd thank you to help me..thanks..