Author Topic: Equivalent to GPOs  (Read 2717 times)

Andrew

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Equivalent to GPOs
« on: December 28, 2010, 08:18:21 pm »
Hello,

I am planning to replace our company's Windows 2003 server with Zentyal.

We are currently using an Active Domain with some GPOs such as software restriction,
folder redirection and customized desktop.

To what extent can Zentyal/Desktop replicate this functionality? I am trying the Zentyal
server + Zentyal Desktop on Ubuntu 10.04 set-up but when I log in as a "user" I only
get a link to the user's shared folder on the desktop; I was hoping I could set up the home
directory to point to the user's folder in the server instead, like I have done in Windows 2003.

I believe software restriction policies wouldn't be needed with Ubuntu's own authentication,
however, I would like to know if it's possible to deploy applications or change the desktop remotely.

Any feedback would be appreciated; thank you in advance!

Best regards,

Andrew

jsalamero

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Equivalent to GPOs
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 08:27:32 pm »
At the moment Zentyal Desktop doesn't provide any kind of policy enforcement, only authentication and applications preconfiguration.

Any feature proposal you would like to make would be evaluated and maybe included in the roadmap. Of course external contributions are more than welcomed :)

Jan Jacobs

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
    • My blog (dutch)
Re: Equivalent to GPOs
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 03:32:41 pm »
i guess, depending on the configuration of your systems, a lot can be achieved through scripting.. wether it be VBS or SH (depending on your os)

what we first need to establish is your OS, the current enforcements you have..
based on those, we could try and see if its, in some way or another, possibly to script it!

i'm sure one to follow this thread, as i have wondered it myself too..
i like to replace our home server with Zentyal, at some point in time
For i dipt into the future far as human eye could see,
saw a vision of the world and all the wonders there would be