Author Topic: [SOLVED]reply to mails sent from Zentyal/Zarafa-Server  (Read 3369 times)

compay

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
[SOLVED]reply to mails sent from Zentyal/Zarafa-Server
« on: January 14, 2011, 01:37:02 pm »
I named my virtual mail domain "localhost". And I use a smart host for sending emails and fetchmail to retrieve the mail for the users from their external mail accounts.
When a recepient gets a mail sent by the Zentyal/Zarafa-Server and the recepient wants to reply to this mail, where "sender: ebox-user@localhost" is entered, this address logically consistent cannot be resolved. How can I map the internal address to the external, to which the reply should be posted?
Consequently I would simply rename my virtual mail domain similar to the external mail account. Can this lead to inconsistencies?
What is the option under: 'Dashboard:Mail>General>Options>Server mailname' good for?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 10:23:23 pm by compay »

Trym

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: reply to mails sent from Zentyal/Zarafa-Server
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 07:08:52 pm »
There are ways to solve this. I'm assuming that you are not interested in having a real mail-domain reachable from the internet, and that you just want to fetch mail from existing accounts on external servers while using the localhost domain only for internal communication.

The easiest, and perhaps only, way to do that is to have each user set the "Reply-to" address in the Zarafa preferences/Compose mail to his/her external mail-account. That adress will replace the default ...@localhost reply-to address. I assume the users have a random collection of external e-mail accounts, so there's no easy way to configure this globally.

Good luck.

::Trym

compay

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 11:44:27 am »
Thank you TRYM for your answer,
yes, in this case I am not interessted in a real mail-domain, because more or less I had to set up the exchange server like a mail-client.
I have set up the ebox/zarafa-server like the HOWTO describe it: http://forum.zentyal.org/index.php?topic=892.0
But I wonder why "localhost" is used as the virtual domain name there. I would name it otherwise, because so far as I understand a virtual mail domain, it is different from local domains and respectively "localhost". Maybe it's only one more placeholder in this HOWTO, but irritating for newbies.
I only find "compose" in a .js and a .php file of zarafa-webaccess. It seems they are for replying to mails that came in.
What I want to know is, if I can give to my virtual mail domain the same name as the external mail account holds, or if in this case there will be some interferences.

Trym

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 12:34:25 pm »
Thank you TRYM for your answer,
yes, in this case I am not interessted in a real mail-domain, because more or less I had to set up the exchange server like a mail-client.
I have set up the ebox/zarafa-server like the HOWTO describe it: http://forum.zentyal.org/index.php?topic=892.0
But I wonder why "localhost" is used as the virtual domain name there. I would name it otherwise, because so far as I understand a virtual mail domain, it is different from local domains and respectively "localhost". Maybe it's only one more placeholder in this HOWTO, but irritating for newbies.
I only find "compose" in a .js and a .php file of zarafa-webaccess. It seems they are for replying to mails that came in.
What I want to know is, if I can give to my virtual mail domain the same name as the external mail account holds, or if in this case there will be some interferences.

The "Compose Mail" tab is in the individual user's Zarafa-preferences, not in a config file. If you log in to Zarafa, bottom right you see "log out", and next to that "preferences." If you click that, a window with tabs will open. The reply-to address is in the "Compose mail"-tab.

I read the how-to you referred to, and there are some posts further down which take issue with the "localhost" name. It is my understanding that you can pretty much use any name you like. However, if you use the same domain-name as an external server, the external server might get confused when trying to communicate with your server. Then again, it might not. If I were you, I would try it out (off-peak hours of course.) However, if you're already successfully sending and receiving mail, and only the reply-to address is wrong, you can fix it as described above, and go worry about something else.

compay

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 08:06:05 pm »
Thank you very much for your further explanation Trym,
with it I could find the right place to solve the reply issue. And you are also right that it will save my time to concentrate on the more severe problem: that my mails are often rejected, apparently due to the invalid sender address "<ebox_username>@localhost" in the header.
Greetings Compay

Trym

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 08:46:16 pm »
my mails are often rejected, apparently due to the invalid sender address "<ebox_username>@localhost" in the header.

I have no idea if this will in fact solve anything, but you should try using a "legal" domain name, so the address becomes something like <username>@myserver.lan. At least then other servers can't immediately tell it's not a valid domain.

Good luck.