Author Topic: Zentyal Master-Slave config  (Read 5201 times)

leros

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
Zentyal Master-Slave config
« on: August 24, 2010, 05:47:08 pm »
Hi, i have a doubt, on master "users and group" server cannot install any pack that depend of "users and group"? because replication is dead when i do it. On 1.4 documentation i see that for attach slaves this is true, but when it is attached if install any pack that depends of it stop replication. If it is true, is confusing and on "users and group" would better if modes are "master - single - slave - slave AD" plus on master mode no dependent pack can be installed.
Thanks.

Alan Lord

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • The Open Learning Centre
Re: Zentyal Master-Slave config
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 05:39:59 pm »
I've just created 2 VMs and discovered the same.

I created a Master and a Slave. And all was well.

But as soon as I turned on Samba on the Master, then the LDAP sync stopped. But no errors were reported.

Apart from wanting to know why the Master has to be a feature-light server, I think it would be good if once a Zentyal server is configured as Master then all other modules that should not be used are removed/disabled/not allowed to be installed.

Otherwise 2.0 looks really good.

For an SME where hardware is expensive and scarce, we should come up with a "best practice" solution to this problem.

My idea would be to install KVM or VirtualBox on the machine they want to act as master then run the "Master" Zentyal inside a VM (as it is only really just the LDAP server) as a guest and run a "Slave" Zentyal on the host to provide the Samba and mail facilities etc.

Sound about right?
--
The Open Learning Centre

Josir

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 09:04:17 pm »
Hi Alan, are you successful on your master-slave aproach?
Could you share your finding with us?
Josir

Alan Lord

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • The Open Learning Centre
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 01:54:47 pm »
Hi Alan, are you successful on your master-slave approach?
Could you share your finding with us?
Josir

Hi Josir,

I never got round to trying it in the end, but the idea should work just fine. Running the master in a small VM means you could have both a slave and a Master on one physical server if necessary. You'll need bridged networking for the VM so the Master is visible from the host and the wider-world if needed.

HTH

Al
--
The Open Learning Centre

Josir

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 03:40:16 pm »
Thanks for replying Alan.
I will try it and I will post on this thread.

My impression is that the majority of questions posted on Zentyal forum were not answered...
And I try to share my findings.