Author Topic: Internet is Slow..  (Read 3334 times)

Chiyan

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Internet is Slow..
« on: May 28, 2011, 07:38:55 am »
Hi all..

i'm using zentyal 2.03 new version in my office.. :D
i've installed zentyal firewall here. ???

Everything works fine, but this firewall slows down my internet speed.
i'm using 1mbps "lease-line" internet. after connecting to the firewall it slows down to 0.6mbps.. :o
also accessing internet is very slow.. :-[

solutions plz ...ASAP....  :'(

robb

Re: Internet is Slow..
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 05:35:56 pm »
Are you sure it is zentyal related? If you directly connect another machine, do you get different responses and speeds?
Can you check what your CPU and memory use is on your zentyal machine as soon you get connections to inet? If one or both hit their max, it might be you need to upgrade your hardware.

Fnally: I don't consider 60% of the max (theorethical) speed of you line as 'slow'. You say it's a leased line, but do you know if there is any overbooking on that line?

regards,
Rob

Chiyan

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 08:44:20 am »
Thanks robb. :D.

my machine has
dual core 2.8 processor, 2gb ram, 80gb hdd, intel motherboard.
so i think my system is ok with its configuration and dont need to be upgrade.

also i've checked overbooking in my line, its ok.

can u tell me some causes for slow inet..?

thanks again..  ;)

Chiyan

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 07:33:37 am »
yepppp.......... :-[

robb

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 09:08:00 am »
Overbooking is something that is done by your ISP. It means that if you have a 1Mb lease line with overbooking of 1:4, you get 1Mb when available but only 256Kb (1/4th) is guaranteed. Unless you checked with your contract or ISP servicedesk, there is no way to find out what your overbooking is on that particular line.

Again, can you do some tests with another machine (like just a normal pc or laptop) and see if you STILL have that slow internet?

Either way, I advice to contact your ISP and let them do line tests. If you have a leased 1Mb line, you may expect to get 1Mb and not 600Kb....

Btw... do you have the monitor module installed on your Zentyal machine. It can give some information on line speeds and system resources.

Bottomline: you have to figure out if it is Zentyal or your connection that is causing the slow internet connection.

christian

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 11:26:42 am »
I would be curious to get some figures with direct access to internet (I mean without Zentyal in the middle) to compare before working on any Zentyal related issue.
Second point: having 1Mb ADSL access doesn't mean you will always get this throughput. For instance if you're connected a bit far from operator's equipment, losses on the line will prevent you to reach this "theoretical" speed.

Marcus

• Forum Moderator
  • Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
    • Professional IT Service
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 01:46:53 pm »
Hello Chiyan,
Can you check what your CPU and memory use is on your zentyal machine as soon you get connections to inet?
That would be very useful info. 

e.g. I had slow network speed when browsing my shares with a high CPU load.  It turns out that the logging system+clamd was slowing everything down. (This is what you can get when browsing shares with many files in it)

Second possibility
I had a "slow" Internet problem too. 
Something that was funny: I was having a 80Mbps out of a theorical 24Mbps (16Mbps actual) results when using SpeedTest.net.  ???

It turns out that it was due to the proxy configuration that was filtering 300MB objects.  I did reduce the size to 16MB and everything was back to almost normal.   

Best,

Marcus