Author Topic: [SOLVED] Zentyal extremely slow  (Read 25679 times)

christian

Re: [SOLVED] Zentyal extremely slow
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2013, 05:09:58 pm »
Access to Zentyal web interface on my 2.2 platform (running on HP N40L with 8Gb of memory) is definitely slow.
Server itself is running very smoothly but when I authenticate in order to apply admin changes, it always takes more than 30 seconds before dashboard is displayed and this is indeed slow.

Then using GUI is more or less OK but not what I would call fast.

3.0 is supposed to be faster but I didn't notice huge improvement from this standpoint during the few tests I made.

acesuares

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2013, 12:51:43 pm »
half-life, thx for looking in to this.

The machines are all HP Microservers, http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06a/15351-15351-4237916-4237918-4237917-4248009.html?dnr=1

With either one or 2 GB.

Load is typically low,
 06:48:29 up 12 days, 20:54,  1 user,  load average: 0.16, 0.05, 0.06 from one machine
and  06:49:02 up 6 days, 20:29,  4 users,  load average: 0.49, 0.69, 0.75 from another
(I have 5 deployed and all with zentyal yayh!)

The web interface experience is like posted above, not at all snappy, even when on the console.
click...wait describes it well.

If you want, I can give you a login at a test machine :-)

In any case, I can work with it but it's not a good recommendation for to convince all those windows system managers to switch over

cheers
ace

acesuares

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2013, 12:53:35 pm »
3.0 is not faster on the HP40NL!

christian

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2013, 01:16:29 pm »
Running Zentyal 2.2 on HP N40L too (however without local client), I confirm that GUI is quite slow. However, I would not say it has significant impact on your decision to go or not to go for Zentyal.
I would appreciate to work with faster interface, of course, but given my hardware size, it means that I don't have so many users, therefore so many administrative tasks.
What really matters is that services are fast enough. From this standpoint, I'm pretty happy with my HP N40L. Notice that I'm almost not using Zentyal file sharing  ;) OMV is much faster  ;D

acesuares

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2013, 01:24:53 pm »
> However, I would not say it has significant impact on your decision to go or not to go for Zentyal.

Really? Are we back in the days of linux 1.0 so that user experience doesnt' matter? Shame on you my friend ;-)

I myself am complaining about the UI, how would the MS lovers think about that?

Everything is fat (or normal, as you've come to learn the speed of GNU/Linux) except the UI.

There's got to be some thing that can be done about that...

christian

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2013, 01:57:56 pm »
Really? Are we back in the days of linux 1.0 so that user experience doesnt' matter? Shame on you my friend ;-)

Did I ever wrote that user experience doesn't matter? I don't think so.
[end]user experience does matter indeed  :P
I agree that Zentyal GUI is slow. Again, I would appreciate faster one but again, this is not, to me a blocking point, especially if you are using, like me, HP N40L, meaning you have few users behind and therefore light admin tasks.

So, there is room for improvement, we all agree on this but admin making his decision only based on "GUI performance" criteria will be wrong, from my standpoint. That's where I disagree on you previous statement.

BTW, what do you mean with "Linux 1.0" ? I can't see any link between Linux in 90's and the fact that Zentyal GUI is slow ? 

acesuares

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2013, 03:08:08 pm »
My dear Zen Hero

Maybe you have indeed so much Zen!

But what about having 10 HP40NL? what about 20?
Maybe then your 'decision' will be influenced differently!!

Ohmmmmmm

Sam Graf

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2013, 03:38:46 pm »
You seem to be implying a couple of things:
  • The developers are sloppy when it comes to GUI performance
  • The GUI is the primary feature or selling point of Zentyal
I'm not sure either of the things you seem to be implying is true. Among those who have experienced a slow GUI, no one is truly disagreeing that it could benefit from improvement. If there is any disagreement, it would be over just what one can expect from "a bunch of Perl scripts" and a webserver. But we can't quantify that here.

Given the agreement on the key issue--the GUI is slow--I'm not sure what the point of the current "disagreement" is.

half_life

• Bug Hunter
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2013, 04:15:47 pm »
half-life, thx for looking in to this.

The machines are all HP Microservers, http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06a/15351-15351-4237916-4237918-4237917-4248009.html?dnr=1

With either one or 2 GB.

Load is typically low,
 06:48:29 up 12 days, 20:54,  1 user,  load average: 0.16, 0.05, 0.06 from one machine
and  06:49:02 up 6 days, 20:29,  4 users,  load average: 0.49, 0.69, 0.75 from another
(I have 5 deployed and all with zentyal yayh!)

The web interface experience is like posted above, not at all snappy, even when on the console.
click...wait describes it well.

If you want, I can give you a login at a test machine :-)

In any case, I can work with it but it's not a good recommendation for to convince all those windows system managers to switch over

cheers
ace

You didn't mention whether you use Zarafa or not.  Also how many users on these machines?

acesuares

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2013, 12:17:31 am »
No Zarafa, no users, except 2 or 3 on samba in one case and 15 on samba in another case. I use it mainly as firewall/router and only use the file sharing bit - sometmes with sshfs and sometimes with netatalk and sometimes with samba.

Anyway, this discussion seems to lead nowhere - as a experieced and fanatic open source user, I am happy to use Zentyal for those clients that I can convince to let me do their management. But when I talk to windows sysops, there is already a lot of lack of knowledge - they keep talking about 'I don't know how the server is setup' when wat they really don't know is how windows filesharing and networking works.

I am just saying, the interface is slow, compared wiht untangle or gibraltar for instance.

That's all.

Cheers

ace

Sam Graf

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2013, 03:54:22 pm »
Anyway, this discussion seems to lead nowhere…

There really is little place for a discussion to go, unless I'm missing something. As a community, we may differ on the possible causes or on the seriousness of the problem (obviously not everyone is experiencing it in the same way or objecting to it in the same way, and those experiences and responses aren't less relevant just because they are less severe), but we aren't disagreeing that there is, or at least often is, a long response time from the administration webserver.

If you were looking for the developers to say something, to admit a problem and to say they're working on it, even if that was the case they would have been more likely to do that in the past (and they actually have talked about this before here). Think in terms of community discussion about this in these forums, and if the developers engage it, better yet. But look to the bug tracker to more reliably interact with the developers.

patmagee1024

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2013, 04:56:58 am »
This has been happening for the last couple of versions. What I have done is remote in via ssh (or PuTTY) and type the following:
Code: [Select]
sudo service apache2 restart
Apache will restart and the console will respond much quicker for me. Since I don't have to change the settings all that often this is a decent workaround for me.

sspeed

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2016, 05:56:57 am »
I realize this thread is very old, but it has relevance to anyone searching. I had one install of Zentyal that was very fast. I installed another that was extremely slow.  I couldn't figure out why, then realized I had installed the Antivirus module on the second.  I removed that and it's as snappy as the first now.  I hope this helps someone.

captain

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2016, 02:00:09 pm »