Author Topic: Changing screen resolution / refresh rate from command line  (Read 5885 times)

futurmat

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Changing screen resolution / refresh rate from command line
« on: December 08, 2010, 05:51:44 pm »
I have a fresh installation of zentyal 2 in a virtual machine. The boot up screen is displayed properly, but when the desktop comes up I only see a big mess on the screen: flickering, big and messed up logos. I guess it's either the resolution or the refresh rate of openbox that doesn't work correct on my environment. Nevertheless I have ssh access to the installation and I am just wondering, if it is possible to change the resolution in a config file and reboot zentyal. Should I create a xorg.conf file? Or are there any boot up options I can use?

Thanks,

Peter

RKB

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • The Patch Shop
Re: Changing screen resolution / refresh rate from command line
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 12:46:43 am »
I hope someone answers your question, because I want to use screen resolution of 1680 x 1050 which I can seem to get to work.

Thanks for reading this post.

Cheers

Ron

ciao

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 05:42:00 pm »
Hi,

I also have the same problem. Since I'm new to Zentyal, I thought it would be supposed to be like that. Anyway, I did some googling and found out that we can tweek these parameters with the xrandr command.  Creating a xorg.conf file with the parameters was so far unsucessfull...

Check this out: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Resolution#Resetting%20an%20out-of-range%20resolution

I haven't tried it yet because at the moment I only have remote access to my system.

Good luck!
Ciao

RKB

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • The Patch Shop
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 10:52:59 pm »
I tried this 'fix' some time back, but like you it did not work for me
Thanks for reading this post.

Cheers

Ron

futurmat

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 12:23:38 pm »
So the root of my problem was the qemu / kvm configuration file. I changed the video device from "cirrus" to "vga". Now it works for me, but I'm pretty sure that does not solve the other resolution related problems.