Author Topic: Zentyal on a Bootable USB Thumb Drive?  (Read 34024 times)

Sam Graf

Re: Zentyal on a Bootable USB Thumb Drive?
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2011, 09:53:40 pm »
Actually, I was "fondly" remembering my own horrible experience getting Zentyal (or even Ubuntu, in my case) running on old server hardware. Everything but Ubuntu would install. I am traumatized for life. ;D

wlaszi

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2011, 10:15:12 am »
Hi,

load your iso file from an another (2nd) usb stick, and you can use the old method! I think this is simplest solution.

holch

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2011, 11:35:12 pm »
@wlaszi: Thanks for your response, but my problem is that I can't even choose where to search for the CD/DVD. I just get stuck there.

This weekend I'll give it another try.

Would it be an option to install Zentyal directly to the harddisk (connected via a USB Docking Station)? I could just take the main hard disk from the server and put it into my USB SATA Docking. Then I run a install DVD from my notebook and install it on the disk, which I then put back into the server.

holch

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2011, 05:25:04 am »
OK, here we go again. I was a little busy lately with project work and there was basically no weekend free since then. But tonight I decided to give it another go. There I have this nice little server and 3 hard disks waiting to be filled with our files, which we currently share from each hard disk.

I was a little frustrated by the flash drive install so I decided to take the company SATA HDD Docking Station and the 160GB hard disk which comes with the HP Microserver home and play around a little bit in front of the TV. I connected the docking station to my private notebook, running Ubuntu 11.04 and then I partitioned the HD. I already had installed Ubuntu 11.04 on it (see previous posts) and I wanted to keep it there, just in case. So I reduced the space for 11.04 down to 25 GB (5 currently used), increased the swap to 8GB (will probably want to upgrade the Ram one day) and separated the rest of the 160GB into partitions 25 and 90GB (no file system yet). All via the Ubuntu 11.04 on my notebook.

Then I rebooted and booted from cd-rom (the one of my notebook). Important was to note down that my notebook hd (also 160 GB - very confusing  ;D ) was sda and the Microserver hd (in this case in the hd docking) was sdb.

Zentyal installation started just fine. The only slightly tricky part was the partitioning. Of course you need to make sure that you want to format the right parts (only going for the sdb). I set the 25gb partition to ext4 and "/" and the 90GB partition also to ext4 and to "/home" and the now 8GB swap as swap. Somehow Zentyal decided it wants to reformat the swap from sda as well, but I didn't really like this idea and took it out.

Installation worked quite well and I was able to boot from the usb hd to Ubuntu 11.04 as well as to Zentyal 2.2. I played around a little and configured some stuff. Looks pretty good so far.

Well, now comes the most important part. I'll have to take the hard disk with Zentyal installed and put it into the HP Microserver. I hope this works out well. But as it worked from the USB docking, I am quite confident that it will work in the server as well.

Then I will have to figure out how to configure the two 1TB hd that I have there for the file server. I would like to have them as a software raid 1. I haven't seen any option to configure this, but I guess without having the discs there is probably no posibility for this anyway. That probably will be one of my next questions.

I'll keep you updated!

holch

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2011, 10:00:16 pm »
OK, so far the server is running. I put the 160gb hard disk into the first slot and in the second and third I have the 1TB disks. As described above, the zentyal installation is on the 160gb one and then I want a Raid 1 on the other two for our data files. Then, one day, the third slot will be for a disk to back up the raid on a short term basis and the sata docking station will contain the more long term backups. It actually has a esata connection, just as the microserver does.

OK, a good idea would be to use the same keyboard as you will use on the server, if you do the installation my way. But then, I guess I am a little weird. Most people will have the same keyboard layout on all computers, but I installed from a notebook with German keyboards and so far I haven't figured out how to get the keyboard to Brazilian layout. Quite annoying with a software like "Zentyal", where you have "z" and "y" on the keyboard, both switched in German.

And now my next task is to figure out how to have the two 1TB disks available for file storage and as a Raid. Then the thingy  should be up and running. So maybe this helps someone who has similar problems with the installation from the usb stick. I guess it should work with a normal case for an external hard drive as well, but of course the disk must be bootable.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 10:04:26 pm by holch »

MidGe

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2011, 07:53:17 am »
Well, I am trying to install Zentyal from a USB stick but the install fails with a "Problem reading CD-ROM...".

I have read a few threads on this forum about this problem but could not find a definitive answer.

Is there a fix for the problem, or must I give up and find an alternative?

Any help would really be appreciated.

MidGe

holch

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2011, 09:30:29 pm »
Hi MidGe,

I sorry for not responding for so long.

Well, here in this thread are quite a few hints. None of them really worked for me, so I found my own solution, as described above. Maybe you have an empty usb-housing for the harddisk and you can install Zentyal on this hard disk from a computer with DVD-Rom-Drive?

ishtiaq_rafique

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2011, 01:42:05 pm »

PLEASE CLICK BELOW LINK FOR BOOTABLE USB CREATION

http://ishtiaqitsolution.blogspot.com/2011/11/how-to-make-bootable-usb-of-zentyal.html

OR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzikgKq0Lj8

Hi MidGe,

I sorry for not responding for so long.

Well, here in this thread are quite a few hints. None of them really worked for me, so I found my own solution, as described above. Maybe you have an empty usb-housing for the harddisk and you can install Zentyal on this hard disk from a computer with DVD-Rom-Drive?

epretorious

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2011, 02:28:03 am »
But just to clarify, I think the original poster was talking about booting Zentyal from USB, not installing it form USB. :)

LOL, Sam: More than 12 months and 50 replies (including my eight comments) but still no answers to the original question: Has anyone successfully installed Zentyal to a USB thumb drive (a la FreeNAS)?
--
Eric P.
Truckee, CA

epretorious

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2011, 02:40:01 am »
Another interesting but all-too-brief article on the subject of creating bootable distro's: Weekend Project: Create a Live USB Key Linux Distribution by Nathan Willis.
--
Eric P.
Truckee, CA

johant

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2013, 10:36:25 am »
Resurrect for solution.

I am currently installing Zentyal 3.0 from a USB-stick, and had the same problem with the installer insisting on accessing the CD-rom. This worked for me:

1) get zentyal iso
2) create bootable USB w. UNETbootin (from OSX in my case)
3) copy over zentyal iso to the bootable USB and name it zen.iso
4) eject USB and insert into target computer, run install until fail
5) in the installer menu, choose the enter a shell option
6) run the following cmds (where /dev/sdc1 should be your usb device)
umount /cdrom
mkdir /mnt/usb
mount /dev/sdc1 /mnt/usb
mount -o loop /mnt/usb/zen.iso /cdrom
exit

7) rerun the Detect and mount CDrom option
8) done

michal

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2013, 07:35:51 pm »
Great thanks to johant, it worked for me. But I am missing a graphical user interface. It seems, that ubuntu it self was installed only, without zentyal server.

michal

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2013, 11:58:21 am »
So, finally I installed zentyal from cd-rom, connected via USB and everything works.

altiport

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 02, 2014, 08:00:29 pm »
Resurrect for solution.

I am currently installing Zentyal 3.0 from a USB-stick, and had the same problem with the installer insisting on accessing the CD-rom. This worked for me:

1) get zentyal iso
2) create bootable USB w. UNETbootin (from OSX in my case)
3) copy over zentyal iso to the bootable USB and name it zen.iso
4) eject USB and insert into target computer, run install until fail
5) in the installer menu, choose the enter a shell option
6) run the following cmds (where /dev/sdc1 should be your usb device)
umount /cdrom
mkdir /mnt/usb
mount /dev/sdc1 /mnt/usb
mount -o loop /mnt/usb/zen.iso /cdrom
exit

7) rerun the Detect and mount CDrom option
8) done

Worked on my HP Proliant Microserver N54L, installing Zentyal 3.5, with the only exception being that initially it didn't work after I burnt the flash drive with unetbootin.  It installed Ubuntu Server only.  It worked perfectly though with Rufus.

Thank you