Author Topic: Zentyal on a Bootable USB Thumb Drive?  (Read 34022 times)

epretorious

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Zentyal on a Bootable USB Thumb Drive?
« on: December 11, 2010, 07:55:52 am »
Has anyone successfully run Zentyal from a bootable USB thumb drive?
--
Eric P.
Truckee, CA

epretorious

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Zentyal on a Bootable USB Thumb Drive?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 08:57:55 am »
e.g., Collin C. MacMillan's tutorial for installing FreeNAS to a USB thumb drive using the FreeNAS embedded image - "Installing FreeNAS to USB Flash: Easy as 1,2,3"
--
Eric P.
Truckee, CA

epretorious

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 07:26:18 am »
Another fantastic example of converting a distro to boot/run form USB thumb drive: Kevin Riggins' guide to booting BT4 from USB - "Backtrack 4 – USB/Persistent Changes/Nessus"
--
Eric P.
Truckee, CA

epretorious

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 08:24:24 pm »
Linux Live Scripts may be the answer to my quest...
--
Eric P.
Truckee, CA

epretorious

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 05:09:26 am »
There are several articles that detail the process of installing Ubuntu to a USB drive so this got me to wondering: Would it just be easier to create a Live USB drive using Ubuntu (using a purpose-built tool like usb-creator) and then install the Zentyal packages to the Live USB?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 05:24:24 am by epretorious »
--
Eric P.
Truckee, CA

epretorious

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 05:24:01 am »
FWIW: While reading over the usb-creator article on Wikipedia I discovered an interesting resource: An article that contains a List of Tools to Create Live USB Systems.
--
Eric P.
Truckee, CA

epretorious

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 09:17:05 am »
I haven't had time to make any progress on this topic but I did find another bit of useful information on Wikipedia: The list of external links at the bottom of the article about Live CD's.
--
Eric P.
Truckee, CA

aureleuz

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 02:05:41 pm »
Please, I really need help with this.

I have a SanDisk 4GB Cruizer stick and I'm trying to install Zentyal into my new HP Proliant Microserver. It has no CD drive!! How should I do this - installation keeps asking me for CD?????

HELP ME PLEASE!

epretorious

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 10:10:56 am »
Please, I really need help with this.... I'm trying to install Zentyal into my new HP Proliant Microserver. It has no CD drive!! How should I do this - installation keeps asking me for CD?

Aureleuz: Buy an external USB CD-ROM/CD-RW. e.g., I've always had very good luck with this Samsung SE-S084F/RSBS external CD/DVD Drive.
--
Eric P.
Truckee, CA

Orinoko

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2011, 12:24:45 pm »
I tried and tred to get Zentyal instaling from a USB on a HP Microserver. I got it working to a point but then the drivers fo the install media couldn't be found... rather than wasting anymore time I ended up plugging a DVD drive into the onboard SATA and it installed perfectly from this.  I'm sure its possible to install from USB if you have the time to play around with drivers etc.

damage22

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 08:13:06 pm »
It's actually quite easy, if you know how.

Googled this up: http://www.kerwal.com/home/installzentyal203fromausbthumbdrive , thanks, Jeremy Walker!

The easiest way is:
1. Use UNetBootin to make a bootable USB Drive (standard ubuntu utility has the "vesamenu" bug)
2. Copy the Zentyal ISO to the same USB Drive, rename it to something short (like "zen.iso") for less typing later.
3. Load from USB - standard installation.
4. When it asks to look for CD-ROM drivers on removable devices, choose "yes" (somehow it won't mount without this step)
5. After it fails, start CD-ROM lookup again, this time agree to point it manually.
6. Alt-F2 to another terminal
7. ls /dev and find your USB drive (if you have one hdd, the usb drive will usually be "sdb" with one partition "sdb1")
8. mkdir /mnt/somename (create a directory to mount)
9. mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/somename (in this example USB Drive is sdb1)
10. ls /mnt/somename (make sure it shows the contents of your USB Drive)
11. Alt-F1 to your installation, when prompted to enter the CD-ROM device path, instead of /dev/cdrom put /mnt/somename/zen.iso
12. When asked to unmount the USB drive, choosing "yes" won't crash the installation.
The rest should be as usual.

Just installed it from USB, it works. Feel free to re-write to make this guide more comprehensible.

Sam Graf

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2011, 08:36:53 pm »
Thanks for writing up this how-to. Please feel free to consider adding it to the Community Documentation: http://trac.zentyal.org/wiki/Documentation/Community

But just to clarify, I think the original poster was talking about booting Zentyal from USB, not installing it form USB. :)

damage22

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2011, 09:07:30 pm »
http://trac.zentyal.org/wiki/Documentation/Community/HowTo/InstallationFromUSB

And yes, it's a solution for reply #7 by aureleuz, not the original topic question, thanks for correction.

linuxputerguy

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2011, 04:51:56 pm »
The instructions from damage22 worked great with only one small exception.   I had to had the "-t" for the mount command.   Not sure why it didn't autodetect the filesystem type, but after I added the -t vfat, it mounted and I could finish the install.   

Thanks damage22.

Sam Graf

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2011, 02:07:13 pm »
Just to throw in another method, for those using Ubuntu Desktop, there is also the option of using the USB creator feature. Using that in conjunction with Plop Boot Manager, when necessary, is my preferred way to install from USB.