Author Topic: [SOLVED] Where the Zentyal module configuration saved?  (Read 9664 times)

rockyzhangxq

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Where the Zentyal module configuration saved?
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2010, 12:39:54 am »
I just tried refresh installed zentyal, then apply to dump.rdb. Not really work since some ldap configuration mess up although the DHCP range customization was there. 

I think I figured out the answers. Basically the new install computer need all the module there before apply the dump.rdb file.  And this is the easiest/fastest approach so far I found specially  for ones who want to apply one server's configuration to multiple servers quickly.

Here I listed the detail steps I did to make it work; Hope it is useful for some guys who have the similar questions as me:

1. On Computer A, install Zentyal server (i used 2.0.2) as normal; Login in web UI and do all the configurations you need (e.g. ldap, users, dhcp, samba shares, NIC, firewall, gateway, etc.); Wait a while after the configuration applied so the redis DB service can dump the data into /var/lib/ebox/dump.rdb;

2. On computer B, install Zentyal server, at least install office module (where the LDAP configuration initialize; Otherwise you will have ldap error after apply the dump.rdb ); And install all the packages/modules you needed from Zentyal component management;

3. Copy dump.rdb of Computer A to Computer B; And kill the redis process ( one should be able to find it easily by "ps aux |grep redis") which use the /var/lib/ebox/redis.conf; The redis process should be restarted automatically with another process ID. Then run "sudo /etc/init.d/ebox stop" and "sudo /etc/init.d/ebox start" to apply the configuration;

4. Login web UI again, all your configuration should be there; Computer B should have exactly the same configuration as A; Have fun.

I think the step 2 and 3 might be implemented by scripts. If that's the case, one should be able to use one CD to clone another computer's configuration except the data.

To J.A. Calvo,

You said there will allow some end user's mas configuration in /etc/ebox/stubs. Will these customization be shown up in the web UI? If yes, that might be another approach to my questions.

BTW, I found some bugs during installation: 1) If select "UTM (Intrusion detection system)" and "office" module, the ldap will not be auto configure anymore; One get the message to run "dpkg --configure -a" which is not easy for ldap server config; 2) "/etc/init.d/ebox restart" not work; I have to run "/etc/init.d/ebox stop", then "/etc/init.d/ebox start" to make it work;

Anyway, thank you guys so much for hints and informations.
Rocky