Author Topic: Network connection issue  (Read 2120 times)

zolf

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
Network connection issue
« on: December 03, 2010, 08:26:45 am »
Hello there,

I have setup a UTM for my company  using Zentyal (EBox). i have 3 servers which users(local and remote) RDP on these servers to do their everyday work. The local users RDP 192.168.0.1 and the remote users RDP 70.170.180.160. now the problem i have is i cannot access the internet from the servers. i can from my local machine connect to the internet and RDP the servers.but from the server i cannot connect to the internet. the network layout is shown in the pic. by the way in the zentyal i have mentioned to lease ip between 192.168.0.100 to 200. but my servers are in the range 192.168.0.1 - 2 - 3 is it alright and do i need to define these static ip in the DHCP's fixed addresses section or not needed.please help. i am stuck.

cheers
zolf

zolf

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
Re: Network connection issue
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 11:00:19 am »

Please help.

Josep

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 11:15:08 am »
I couldn' see an attached picture ...
Is your Zentyal acting as a Gateway?
Have the RDP servers been configured to go through your Zentyal box?
It is common for servers to have static addresses, and hence to have everything else statically defined. This means that you have to manually update them (gateway, DNS, domain, etc)
Your computer is probably receiving all the configuration via DHCP from your Zentyal box and that's why you have Internet.
You don't need to change your DHCP settings in Zentyal (I do also leave a wide range of IPs for static configurations).

zolf

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 11:26:18 am »

josep :

Please bear with me...i am very desperate to get this working.

Is your Zentyal acting as a Gateway?
yes it is

i cannot attach pic,i get error saying path not found. this is my email zjafferi@gmail.com.can you please email me and i will send you the shots of zentyal..please help me

zolf

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 11:30:18 am »
>>Have the RDP servers been configured to go through your Zentyal box?

the ip on the server is setup to 192.168.0.1

Interface: eth0
Original destination: <The name of the virtual interface with IP x.x.x.133>
Original destination port: 3389
Protocol: TCP
Source: Any
Destination IP: 192.168.0.1
Port: Same

when i try to enter a fixed ip in the dhcp menu i get invalid mac address. how do you enter a mac address 00-1D-BA-C0-E7-51.....i tried without - still no luck

Josep

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 09:01:40 pm »
So far, what I have understood is:
* You have 3 RDP servers, with static IPs 192.168.0.1/2/3
* You have a Zentyal installation with a public interface 77.170.180.160, internal interface with what IP?
* You have some Switch (I guess) to which all servers and internal users (including yourself) are connected
* These users have Internet connection (i.e., Zentyal installations is working properly as a gateway)
* Users (internal and external) can connect to the RDP servers
* Ports 3389/tcp and 3389/udp are being properly forwarded on Zentyals's (although if you are only using port 3389, only 1 RDP server is accessibel from the outside, right?)
* You have your Zentyal's with a DHCP serving IPs in the range 192.168.0.100-200

Note that even if I don't manage to help you, at least everybody else will have a better understanding of your issues.

Your main problem is that inside a RDP session in one of the servers, users have no Internet access.
Questions:
  • Have you configured each RDP server with all the information, gateway, DNS, etc?
    If you have physical access to one of those machines, do you have Internet access?
  • Can you ping some external server by IP (try "ping 8.8.8.8")?
  • Can you ping some external server by name (try "ping google.com")?

zolf

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2010, 06:56:28 am »
* You have a Zentyal installation with a public interface 77.170.180.160, internal interface with what IP?

Yes I have assigned the internal interface 192.168.0.8

Npi managed to solve my original issue.now I have another issue and that is how do I include a mpls connection to my network

Josep

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 11:02:18 am »
Now you are introducing new elements to the original problem before confirming if my previous assumptions are correct or checking if your IP configuration on the servers are correct as well ...

zolf

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2010, 12:30:03 pm »

thanks so much for your help.
you see the problem is occuring as i am moving forward. now i have internet on the internal servers and the clients have internet too.now my next step is to include a mpls connection to my network.this mpls connection is between one branch office and the head office. this mpls has its own IP,subnet and gateway.i dont know how to bring this network into my network. i already have one default gateway given by my isp and it is setup to the zentyal