Author Topic: "Companyname.com" as internal domain name = DNS problems?  (Read 2116 times)

Tiss

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
"Companyname.com" as internal domain name = DNS problems?
« on: November 02, 2010, 12:20:07 pm »
I'm currently testing a Zentyal box configured as PDC, DNS and DHCP. Everything seems to be working fine, except that clients unable to reach our website on www.companyname.com. The reason must be that I chose the Zentyal domain equal to our registered domain name (companyname.com).

Obviously this is something I need to fix. Now I can edit the /etc/hosts file on the Zentyal server, but this doesn't sound like a proper solution.

Should I rename the internal domain name to 'companyname' (remove the .com part)? Or is there something in the DNS configuration of the Zentyal box I should change?

acon

• Board Moderator
  • Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
Re: "Companyname.com" as internal domain name = DNS problems?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 01:14:39 pm »
I am too using my domain as internal domain name.
In internet, mydomain.com resolves to my public IP (Wan interface) by my ISP dns and in my internal LAN, it is resolved by zentyal dns server, to private IP in lan interface.
If you configure your server to present same web contents in internal and external interfaces, users gets same result wen browsimg from internet or from lan.
If www.companyname.com is not hosted in your zentyal server or network, then you have a problem because zentyal dns wil always be authoritative for companyname.com domain for lan clients.
As a workaround, you can probably register an alternate ip in zential DNS (like w3 o web instead of www) pointing to your external web server.

If you change domain name, i think you will need to join to the new domain all workstations( PDC).
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 01:19:08 pm by acon »

Tiss

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 01:49:03 pm »
Thanks for your fast response, acon.

I have not yet migrated any workstations to the new domain, so I guess changing the domain name is the safest option. I guess using the same domain name for internal and external purposes is just not such a good idea in my case.

sixstone

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • Sixstone's blog
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 05:04:15 pm »
Hi guys,

I think you are asking for split horizon configuration that is already in our wishlist.

We didn't have time to develop yet.

Best regards,
My secret is my silence...