Author Topic: Official documentation for Zentyal 2.0 now available!  (Read 13585 times)

nachico

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
    • Learning To Fly
Re: Official documentation for Zentyal 2.0 now available!
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2011, 05:32:38 pm »
Hi MagicFab,

the license is correct. We have traditionally published the documentation under a creative commons license, hoping to receive contributions and improve it under a community-driven model. Deploying it on a wiki was always on our roadmap, although we expected that to certainly imply some extra effort in maintenance from our side, so we waited for the first contributions before doing so.

However, realising that by version 2.0 we had received no contribution whatsoever, we dropped the creative commons license, as by the moment there seems to be no benefit for the project and the community does not seem to care about it (you are the first one to raise the issue since we published it six months ago). If you have a different opinion please, let me know, I am open to suggestions.

Cheers,
CEO at Zentyal

robb

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2011, 07:41:03 pm »
I have stated this before and will do again: an INDEPT documentation is essential for a product like zentyal to be a serious alternative for other all-in-one servers like MS SBS server.
The power of open source IS the community and I strongly suggest to make a community driven documentation wiki available.
Because certification is part of the strategy of ebox company, it is even more important to have documentation available for Zentyal. The more certified professionals there are, the more likely Zentyal will get a big influence in the SME's all around the world.

Bottomline: Both ebox company AND the community NEED proper documentation. Also they BOTH need good preperation methods to make Zentyal more succesfull.

nachico

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
    • Learning To Fly
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2011, 04:23:09 pm »
Hi Robb,

we have been discussing the idea with the Forum Moderators and we are now preparing a wiki-based community documentation. It will be launched pretty soon.

Regards,
CEO at Zentyal

nachico

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
    • Learning To Fly
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2011, 12:42:21 pm »
Hi Robb,

Community documentation is ready to roll. The wiki consists mainly in two parts: official doc in wiki format, only editable by Zentyal staff and Forum Moderators, and community contributions, editable by any forum member. Login is done with the forum account.

Before announcing it, I would like to gather some feedback about the structure we should use and how to link both parts. In order to ease the process, I suggest to set in community contributions the same structure we have in the official documentation, based in Zentyal profiles (infrastructure, gateway, UTM, office, etc). What do you think?

Cheers,
CEO at Zentyal

robb

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2011, 03:16:13 pm »
Great move forward! I'll have a thorough look in the coming few days and feed back asap.

Thanks again for this initiative.

philmills

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2012, 01:15:35 pm »
Very good news indeed. Looking forward to contributing...

UdoB

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2012, 09:20:58 pm »
Hello,

having a pointer to the documentation is definitely important. But please - "Official documentation for Zentyal 2.0 now available!" looks a little bit outdated. It states that the current release is 2.0 OR that this Forum is dead. I know both is wrong, so please drop this sticky sequence of outdated posts and replace it with a current one. (Do it this way because a click on the this topic in the overview shows me the "now available!" information from 21.Oct 2010.)

Best regards
Udo