Author Topic: Manually complement trafficshaping with l7-filter?  (Read 2230 times)

netzwurm

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Manually complement trafficshaping with l7-filter?
« on: July 23, 2008, 09:15:40 pm »
Hello,

I am using ebox on my house network. Unfortunately I do need traffic shaping via layer7 for some protocols. My question is whether there is a preferred way to complement the ebox-traffic shaping with my own layer7 and integrate it with ebox. For example, if I used layer7 to mark specific traffic, can I prioritize traffic with that mark in the traffic shaping module?

My second question is related. At the moment I have to manually enter my ISP's gateway to the interface with upstream and downstream. Is it possible to use DHCP for the external interface and add something more generic to the gateway module? Something like "add whatever you get from eth1?".

All my best.

javi

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Manually complement trafficshaping with l7-filter?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 07:58:18 pm »
Hi,

I am using ebox on my house network. Unfortunately I do need traffic shaping via layer7 for some protocols. My question is whether there is a preferred way to complement the ebox-traffic shaping with my own layer7 and integrate it with ebox. For example, if I used layer7 to mark specific traffic, can I prioritize traffic with that mark in the traffic shaping module

I already have a layer7 filter test package!!! I have to fix some minor things before I uploaded and announce it. But I swear it's almost there!!! :)

My second question is related. At the moment I have to manually enter my ISP's gateway to the interface with upstream and downstream. Is it possible to use DHCP for the external interface and add something more generic to the gateway module? Something like "add whatever you get from eth1?".

You can't do that now, but that's the approach we have to implement to solve this thing.

netzwurm

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 07:57:25 pm »
Will that package be using kernel or userspace layer7? I'd be glad to help with the fixing issue too if you want me to have a look at the code.

javi

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 08:07:23 pm »
Kernel space for now.

I packaged l7filter protocols, patched and packaged iptables and the kernel for ubuntu.

I'll try to post a quick-and-dirty howto to explain how to install it

netzwurm

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 01:06:15 am »
Hi,

I am currently working on an article for Linux Magazine on Ubuntu-Server and QoS. I am thinking of including eBox and therefore I would need to do some testing asap. I don't really need a HowTo, but it would help a great deal if you could give me the location of those packages.

Best.

javi

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 08:04:15 pm »
Alright then, let's go with a quick howTo on how to test the layer7 traffic shaping module on eBox.

You will need to install eBox packages from our unstable branch, so everybody be aware, as its name hints: it's not ready for production yet!!. We still have to make some changes and fix some bugs to consider it stable.

To support l7filter you need l7-protocols, a patched iptables and a patched kernel to support it. I've packaged  this software to ease its installation on Ubuntu hardy. The only drawback is I've only compiled the kernel for i386, so if you need to test it on other platform you will have to do it by yourself until I upload it to my ppa.

To install these packages add the following lines  to your /etc/apt/sources.list file:

Code: [Select]
deb http://people.warp.es/~javi/l7kernel ./
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/ebox-unstable/ubuntu hardy main

Once you have added the apt sources remember to update the cache with:

apt-get update

First of all, we need to install the pactched kernel by running:

sudo apt-get install linux-image-2.6.24-19-l7filter

Now you will have to reboot to be able to use the new kernel.

If you managed to boot with the new kernel, let's install ebox-trafficshaping which will pull  the patched iptables and l7protocols:

sudo apt-get install ebox-trafficshaping

If everything goes ok, you will be able to access and configure eBox through the web interface.

Note that the eBox traffic shaping module is meant to be used when your machine is acting as a gateway, and you can shape on internal interfaces for ingress shaping and on external interfaces for egress shaping.

Don't forget you will have to enable the firewall and add rules to accept traffic from your internal networks to internet.

P.S: I've just written this pretty fast, apologies for spelling mistakes, typos and unaccurate info.

LAGMonkey

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008, 12:51:43 am »
so at the moment ebox platform DOES have L7-filtering but in an "unofficial"capacity?
Im downloading this distro as i type so i can play about with it, as it seems that this could be exactly what im looking for.

javi

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2008, 01:25:18 am »
so at the moment ebox platform DOES have L7-filtering but in an "unofficial"capacity?

That's correct. We should release an official verion in 2/3 weeks.