Author Topic: A few questions  (Read 2070 times)

akira

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
A few questions
« on: August 13, 2008, 10:48:02 pm »
Wow! eBox seems like a great package.Great work guys!

1. I have Ubuntu 8.04 Server already, can I install eBox in addition without problems?
2. Does eBox install and allow me to manage a mail server on my Ubuntu 8.04 system.
3. Can I manage the packages "denyhosts" or "fail2ban" with eBox?
4. Can I manage the log files with eBox?
5. If eBox allows me to manage a mail server, how detailed is the management? i would like to manage multiple domains, catchall addressse, inbox forwarding and such

Thanks!

sixstone

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • Sixstone's blog
Re: A few questions
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 09:31:35 am »
Wow! eBox seems like a great package.Great work guys!

1. I have Ubuntu 8.04 Server already, can I install eBox in addition without problems?
2. Does eBox install and allow me to manage a mail server on my Ubuntu 8.04 system.
3. Can I manage the packages "denyhosts" or "fail2ban" with eBox?
4. Can I manage the log files with eBox?
5. If eBox allows me to manage a mail server, how detailed is the management? i would like to manage multiple domains, catchall addressse, inbox forwarding and such

First thanks very much for your words :). Let's gonna answer your questions:
1. Regarding to the first question, it will ask you to overwrite those files that eBox manages. Installation process, we think, is harmless.
2. Yes, postfix for SMTP with courier for POP and IMAP are daemons which eBox configures. You may install a mail filter as well.
3. You may install the software you want, if you enable ebox-firewall module you may set the appropiate rules to manage this non-eBox managed services. I see fail2ban add iptables rules, take into account if you enable ebox-firewall since every modification will be overriden every time you save configuration changes. Anyway, thanks for pointing out that packages
4. No. eBox watches logs for some services (DHCP, OpenVPN, Firewall, Mail ...) to store in a DB to query them afterwards. However, that log files remain untouched.
5. The main ebox-mail features are:
  • SMTP: TLS (yes/no), Require authentication (users module which are stored in LDAP) (yes/no), POP3 and IMAP support using SSL (yes/no/optional)
  • Smarthost to send mail, maximum message size accepted by server, relay policy based on IP
  • Virtual domain management
  • Queue management
  • Logging querying
  • Optional mail filter integration which uses spamassassin and clamAV for antispam and antivirus respectively using Amavis

Hope this helps you a little in your eBox experience.
My secret is my silence...