Author Topic: Network link stops working after being disconnected for a while  (Read 1735 times)

DobleIT

• Zen Apprentice
  • Windows Sysadmin turning to the dark side
    • View Profile
    • Doble IT - Computing Made Easy
Network link stops working after being disconnected for a while
« on: October 08, 2010, 05:43:18 am »
Hi folks

I have my zentyal box set up as a router for my own personal subnet, as such:

172.16.0.10--------------zentyal -----------10.0.0.0/24 ---------10.0.0.1 (router)
     my pc

The zentyal box has 2 NICs and one of them is connected to the WAN, and the other is connected directly to my PC.

I've found that when I shut my PC down at night, the next morning it can't get an IP address from DHCP, even when I force it to go looking for one.
- I get a link light on the NICs
- I've checked the zentyal console and it shows the link as being connected and up.
- I've also tried restarting the DHCP service, and that has no effect, so I can only assume it is a networking issue.
- The only way to fix it that I've found so far is to restart the zentyal box.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Understandably most sites would not have a link plugged directly into a PC however if a switch were to fail then I expect it would have the same result - you may need to restart the zentyal box to get your subnet working again, which is less than ideal.

Cheers
James

DobleIT

• Zen Apprentice
  • Windows Sysadmin turning to the dark side
    • View Profile
    • Doble IT - Computing Made Easy
Re: Network link stops working after being disconnected for a while
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 02:56:32 am »
This is still occuring for me.

I've also noted that manually assigning my PC with an IP address has no effect - I can't ping the Zentyal box from my PC.

I have to reboot Zentyal to get it going again.

Any thoughts?