Author Topic: [SOLVED] Network Connectivity Randomly Drops  (Read 1243 times)

shrek

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
[SOLVED] Network Connectivity Randomly Drops
« on: September 27, 2010, 11:45:13 pm »
Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS
Zentyal 2.0-1

The server in question has 2 nics, one outside and one inside. The inside interface is set to trunk 4 VLANs. Randomly, but frequently (every 5 to 10 minutes) the server won't respond to network traffic for approx 30-120 seconds. I can not ping it, etc.

During one of the "down" times I set a monitor port and listened to the interface going to the server, and it is getting the echo requests. When I ran tcpdump on the Zentyal system and looked at the interface it saw some broadcast traffic, but not the requests or any other data destined for it.

Anyone see this kind of problem before?

Edit: I lied, the monitor port was listening to a couple ports and was picking up the echo request from the source machines interface. The echo request is never reaching the Zentyal server, so for some reason the switch or something seem to be messing up. This did not happen when Fedora 13 was running (which I overwrote with Zentyal and now the problems have started).
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 07:31:14 pm by shrek »

shrek

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Network Connectivity Randomly Drops
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 07:30:57 pm »
I finally figured it out. it turns out the HP Procurve switches we use do not like the same MAC address on different vlans. All I had to do was change the MAC for each vlan interface and all is well.

I don't know why I didn't see the problem when the server was running Fedora 13. All I can figure is the Zentyal system was getting used more (I moved our WIFI network and a couple others to using it as the router/NTP/DNS server).