Author Topic: webmail and groupware (mail) consistency  (Read 5593 times)

ctek

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: webmail and groupware (mail) consistency
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2010, 11:14:54 am »
You could do some scripting with imapsync to syncronize between dovecot and zarafa, not straight forward though.

Webmail isn't necessary if you are using only Zarafa.

And as a general guideline, configure your mail server, create one virtual domain and assign it to Zarafa, it's easy :)

I have only one mail domain so it is linked with Zarafa.
imapsync is not going to work as expected. I have toyed around all day to se how to do it to work but no avail...
As someone posted here i want to use POP and Imap for evolution/thunderbird. Can we turn off dovecot and postfix completly ?

If you can make a short step-by-step page to achieve the goal we would appreciated

Thank you and best regards
Bogdan

Jan Jacobs

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
    • My blog (dutch)
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2010, 11:16:12 am »

Well, I'm just thinking the opposite, sorry.
The big advantage of the "standard mail system" is that it is... standard :-) which means that you can change components without being attached to proprietary implementation.
This said, I share that one single mail system is better.

How many are using groupware features and how many are using Zentyal with mail but without groupware?

I don't use groupware but I do need mail: going in direction you promote would mean, in my case, to install groupware component in order to use mail... Frankly, if such change occurs, I will just drop Zentyal and go different implementation :-(

i really dont see why you should be sorry ;)
I see your point, i do.. thats why i opted for some sort of wizard at the beginning (or did i forget that?)
So that new users can choose wether to use the groupware features, or the standard mailserver features

at this point, i think, its all a bit confusing for new users!
OR find some way to make them work together.. maybe thats even better to do, so that no wizard is required, and users can setup 2 systems at the same time?
(or am i overlooking something, please DO fill me in, im kind of new to linux mail / groupware)
For i dipt into the future far as human eye could see,
saw a vision of the world and all the wonders there would be

binary-two

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2010, 11:18:29 am »
You could do some scripting with imapsync to syncronize between dovecot and zarafa, not straight forward though.

Hi all,

I have played around with that some time ago. Imapsync is really a nice tool.

But you can not have a full two-way sync, ie., two consistent mail boxes at the same time. Having said that, the syncing full mailboxes can be too time- and most likely too resource intensive to run it in short intervals for many users, in my opinion.

If you want to try, it should look somehow like this (the options based on different recommendations from the zarafa and other forums):

Code: [Select]
imapsync --host1 imaphost --port1 imapport --ssl1 --user1 user@virtdomain --passfile1 ~/server1.secret --sep1 "." \
--host2 zarafahost --port2 zarafaport --user2 user --passfile2 ~/server2.secret --sep2 "/" --prefix2 "" \
--skipsize --useheader subject --useheader date --noauthmd5 --syncinternaldates --idatefromheader --subscribe \
--folder "INBOX.onefolder" \
--folder "INBOX.anotherfolder" \
--delete

This transfers the mails from some IMAP folders to Zarafa. The other way round should be straight forward. Maybe don't use the same folders if you do ;-).

Maybe be careful with the delete-switch the first time playing around; in my scenario, syncing only folders was the better option. Have a look at he man page [1].

So long,

Björn

[1] http://pwet.fr/man/linux/commandes/imapsync

binary-two

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2010, 11:27:25 am »
Hi Jorge,

I have a correlating question. I have an IMAP and a Zarafa virtual domain. If a user has his primary email address in the IMAP domain the mail is delivered to IMAP, if the user has his primary email address in the Zarafa domain, the mail is delivered to Zarafa. So far so good :-).

If I create an alias for my IMAP user using the Zarafa virtual domain, I expected mails using the alias being delivered to Zarafa. But this does not happen. I even added the alias of my test user manually in /etc/postfix/transport, eg., user@zarafa.domain zarafa. But still the email is delivered to IMAP.

I can not trace why this is happening. Does postfix only look up the primary email of the user or should it work with aliases as well?

Thanks for your help in advance,

Björn

Vertex

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2010, 08:42:45 pm »
Hi everybody!

when I read this thread i was surprised and a little bit disappointed. I am running the mail system as IMAP server to collect all mails from different external accounts. Normaly I use thunderbird for mail access, but i wanted to use Zarafa for webaccess and push-mail but now I have to see that Zarafa uses its own mail-storage and can't access Dovecots mailbase - that a pity. Like christian I prefer standard solutions and because of this I do not want to store my mail in a MySQL-database. Ok, I could use just a normal webaccess but I am interested in the groupware features of Zarafa too - so it wouldn't make sense. It would be perfect if Zarafa could handle different mail storages - atm, I think, the only straight forward solution is to use Zarafa for mail storage. Maybe 2-way-sync works too but i do not feel well with it.

best regards
Vertex
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 08:44:37 pm by Vertex »

FutureTechSys

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Future Tech Systems, LLC
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2010, 05:57:57 pm »
If you're going to use Zarafa, webmail becomes unnecessary - it has both /webaccess for computers and the mobile as well, plus pop imap etc.

I would simply direct the users to only use Zarafa.  I have found many times that when you give users too many options, it causes problems.

You could get a little tricky and redirect the webmail url to the Zarafa url.
Future Tech Systems, LLC
http://www.FutureTechSys.com

See our Zazen servers running Zentyal!
http://www.futuretechsys.com/small-biz/

SpiderOak online backup - 2GB Free!
https://spideroak.com/download/promo/fts

christian

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2010, 11:43:28 am »
If you're going to use Zarafa, webmail becomes unnecessary - it has both /webaccess for computers and the mobile as well, plus pop imap etc.

Sure but the point here is not to offer more than one "web mail" access. Point here is that the way Zafara stores email is prorietary :-( and therefore not flexible and would oblige to have ALL users defined as Zafara users, even for those needing only mail service.
It also means yet another pop & imap server etc...

To make it simple if Zentyal target "turn key" deployment mode, only one mechanism should be keep (otherwise one have to enter in endless discussion and documentation, that is rarely read, to explain which one use, when and how) and my point in previous post in this thread was to say, because I share your statment: "if the remaining MDA keept in Zentyal is Zafara instead of Procmail/Dovecot approach, I will for sure drop Zentyal in order to keep something more flexible"

jsalamero

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2010, 12:29:20 pm »
We don't want force people to use one system or other, that's why designed the mail system this way. You will be able to use Postfix+Dovecot with maildir but also Zarafa. Both systems can coexist (under different domains).

alawson75

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2010, 04:24:43 am »
I've also found that after changing the default Zarafa mySQL password that when the Zarafa-server process fails due to a login problem that using phpMyadmin to change the zarafa account password in mysql to the same one you chose then starting the zarafa-server service restores webaccess.

ofcourse you could manually change the zarafa user password directly in mysqld

just my thoughts, cheers!
-Anthony

koe

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2011, 08:57:47 pm »
is there an "official" howto available.. to work with zafara as mailserver/groupware under Zentyal?
because, for the life of god, i seem to be unable to figure it out :(
i can logon to the zafara mailserver through the web, but i cant send mail..
and i also cant connect using thunderbird?

Believe me there are a lot of people struggling with this. That the systems are separate I suppose it's the only way. but why have 2 mail systems? I want to go to full Zafara use but have to use outgoing SMTPs (for Thunderbird) with dovecot so your mail end up in the "normal" mail system and not with your Zarafa users. I am stepping away from Zentyal after 2 weeks of struggling and here I have my answer. the Zentyal staff's answer in this topic is clear. they are seperate... ur bad, you should not have selected Zentyal if you want to use zarafa to the fullest. Checking out the next distro.
Sorry to say I wanted to use Zentyal because I liked Zarafa way better that Horde. After this I am back to ClearOS or SME server (contribs.org). I did like the setup, I did like the view, but this closes the door for Zentyal. I am not a full Linux administrator, if so i would not even had to fall back on distro's like Zentyal. I hope our friends of Zentyal start to understand and at least make a howto or describe it in the documentation.

good bey Zentyal... I will keep track but I lost my interest here.