Author Topic: Network setup  (Read 2846 times)

Jared

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Network setup
« on: April 07, 2011, 04:24:56 am »
I am new to Zentyal and need some help. My Question is i have a dsl modem which is always
on no login which the server finds on eth0 and stats the link is up and i have confirmed this as
i can get to the web. Now eth1 stats that it is up but with no luck i cannot connect with any
computer on my network which are 6 total (4) hard line and (2) wireless + a Linksys router.
I have tried bridged,and static so if i could get some help i would greatly appreciate it as i know
i am missing something.  
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 07:21:51 am by Jared »

Jared

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Network setup
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 07:18:32 am »
The issue i am having is the dsl mode is connected but i can not get the connections from the
red line to the green. On the green line i have tried static, DHCP, Bridged and have had no luck.
Please if someone could help as this is new to me as if have never setup a firewall or server
alone in linux. I would greatly appreciate any and all help as i have 3 children and
would like to filter what can be accessed on the internet.  
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 07:21:31 am by Jared »

Sam Graf

Re: Network setup
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 02:30:27 pm »
I would like to know a little more about how you're using eth1. You're trying to use that as the internal interface to which everything else on your network connects, correct? Have you configured Zentyal's DHCP module for eth1?

On the WAN side and eth0, does your ISP supply you with static public addresses? If not, you'll need to configure things so that eth0 gets gets an IP address from the modem. I don't think it makes any difference if that is a public or private address. And in this scenario, eth0 will be configured as an external interface and to get it's address by DHCP, from the modem.

Jared

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 11:34:29 pm »
Sorry that is not the problem as zentyal finds the DHCP with no problem. The issue is i can not 
get any connection to any other computer on the network, as stated the DSL modem is allways
on but i do the the opption to use a pppoe and type in the user name and password in if that is the
problem. I have tried both static and Bridged, Both have stated that the link is up and show traffic
threw them but the network never see's it.

Sam Graf

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 03:17:02 am »
OK, but Zentyal correctly receiving an IP address from your ISP and Zentyal assigning a LAN IP address to the other computers on your network are two different things. It's necessary that Zentyal's DHCP module be configured to assign address to the computers on your network if you hope to get a connection.

Jared

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 04:21:09 am »
Ok thank you for the information. can someone tell me if this looks correct?

Eth0
IP from DSL
192.168.1.xx
with the genral gateway

Eth1
192.168.1.1x

DHCP setup
192.168.1.1xx to 192.168.1.2xx

Sam Graf

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 06:04:31 am »
I recommend that you set eth1 to a static address on a different subnet from the one used by eth0. You could use 192.168.2.1, for example. The 255.255.255.0 mask is fine.

Then, within Zentyal's DHCP settings for eth1 you want to create a range of addresses that Zentyal can assign to the computers on your network. Still using 192.168.2.x as an example, you could create a range of 50 addresses, from 192.168.2.50 to 192.168.2.99. Zentyal will then use addresses from that 50 address range to assign addresses to your network computers. The actual range you create can have different starting and ending addresses, but you need to create a range.

Once that's done, please let us know how things are working.

Escorpiom

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2011, 04:18:25 am »
Exactly what Sam says.

Not only it is recommended to set eth1 to a different subnet, you MUST set it to a different subnet else it won't work.

Zentyal is in this case a router, it has to route. If you set both interfaces to the same subnet, the router can't build it's routing tables and as a result you won't get any connection.

If your connection type is PPPoE you must use a router after the modem. Normally the ISP only gives out one public IP.
If I understand correctly from your postings, you have not only the adsl modem but it is also a router.
In that case, eth0 on the Zentyal machine would be DHCP with the gateway set to the default gateway, 192.168.1.1 - your modem/router combo.

Be aware that this network setup leaves you with double routing which I personally would avoid.   
Marcus' Rule:
Blanks & capitals = avoid it and you'll avoid problems...

Jared

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 10:22:40 pm »
I will give it another try, as i have not tried anythig for a few days.
Thank you for the reponse I will let you know if this works.