Author Topic: VPN client  (Read 2442 times)

brononi

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
VPN client
« on: March 13, 2008, 02:44:56 pm »
Hey,

What i can't make up of the documentation, is how you can connect with a client PC (fe winXP) towards an eBOX server over the internet.

This is the 'setup':
Client1 / Client2 <-> eBOX <-> internet <-> Client3

Client 3 is located fe at home.
I like to connect with Client3 towards the eBOX to get my data over here.
Do I need a special client VPN software on Client 3?
Do i connect towards a public IP, or can i use tools like DynDNS?

Thanks a lot!

Javier Amor Garcia

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
Re: VPN client
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 04:56:12 pm »
Hello,
  i think that you want to connect Cleint 3 to ebox via VPN so client1 and client 2 could be reached by Client3.

In this case you must firstly create a openvpn server and announce the network which makes Client1 and Client2 accessible.
After that you must setup the openvpn client at Client3. You can do it manually but it will be faster of you use the 'download client bundle' option in the server  list.
In the bundle you will find the configuration files and the certificates needed for the setup and in most case you will not need to modify anything.
If you mark the appropiate option, in the bundle will be also the installer for the openvpn client needed by your windows box.

Cheers,
  Javier

brononi

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 07:40:35 pm »
Maybe i was wrong to put in Client1 & 2.
These haven't got anything to do in my story.  :-\

The server (ebox) has filesharing and internetconnection.
The client3 is a machine in another building. Can i make a connection over the internet to the ebox server to open my files there?

What must i do with the client. Can i use the 'standard' vpn connector in windows?
-> New networkconnection -> work network (VPN) -> public IP...
Or do i need a extra (third-party) software to establisch the connection?

ps maybe a lazy way of me: asking before 'testing'. But i want to be sure before i start to install the complete server...  :)

sixstone

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • Sixstone's blog
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 09:38:39 am »
The server (ebox) has filesharing and internetconnection.
The client3 is a machine in another building. Can i make a connection over the internet to the ebox server to open my files there?
Yeah, you can do so looking for the internal IP for eBox.

What must i do with the client. Can i use the 'standard' vpn connector in windows?
-> New networkconnection -> work network (VPN) -> public IP...
Or do i need a extra (third-party) software to establisch the connection?
As Javier said above, you may download the client bundle which included all required additional software (OpenVPN Win32 installer) to connect to your client 3 to eBox.

I hope this helps.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 10:43:13 am by sixstone »
My secret is my silence...

brononi

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 05:37:04 pm »
As Javier said above, you may download the client bundle which included all required additional software (OpenVPN Win32 installer) to connect to your client 3 to eBox.

I hope this helps.

i've tried the OpenVPN Win32 installer from 'openvpn.se'.  I can't figure out how to make a vpn connection from a remote XP laptop towards the server.
A lot of keys, CA's, server sides, client sides...
But it isn't clear to me what must be done where  ???
- It starts already on the ebox server, what must be setup here?
- And what keys must be generated and where must they be used?
- What must be used on the client?

Nobody knows a manual for dummies for this?  :P

Javier Amor Garcia

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 08:37:44 am »
The easier way is to download a "client bundle" which contains all the required files. To do so, goto to the main openvpn page, look at the servers' list and click in the 'download client bundle' icon.
You will see a page with options for the bundle, make sure that the server address is the one used by your client to reach the server. When all options are correct, download the archive.

Put the archive in your windows box and unzip it. It will contain the appropiate certificate files and a ovpn file. This file is the configuration file, you can start the openvpn client right-clicking on it and choosing the appropiate option.

Cheers,
  Javier

Gordon

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 01:46:58 pm »
Hi. I also don't get this. In order to get the VPN server running you first have to create the client and the CA Certificate right? How do I create the client when half the options on the client  are in fact setup in the server? I'm happy to help with making a openvpn for ebox dummies once I can understand the process myself as it appears I'll be doing this many times over in the future as ebox is the shiznit.

Javier Amor Garcia

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 03:44:02 pm »
Hi Gordon,
  yes you need to create fiorst the CA certificate and the certificate which will be used in the client.
As you say a lot of the options of the clients are the same than the server, but if you use a client bundle you do not need to enter them manually.

Gordon

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2008, 10:47:28 pm »
Ok So I got the client bundle which was last updated 2004? Now I have the files it creates but everytime I load them up to the server I get an internal error. When I'm on site again I'll get the errors from the logs.

sixstone

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • Sixstone's blog
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 09:37:26 am »
Set debug to yes in file /etc/ebox/99ebox.conf to obtain more information about your error.
My secret is my silence...