Author Topic: Planning to drop ebox-egroupware support, volunteers for maintaining it?  (Read 34478 times)

Jupiter2

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Planning to drop ebox-egroupware support, volunteers for maintaining it?
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2010, 12:01:39 pm »
My suggestion for egroupware replacement:
funambol + citadel.org

Citadel is genuine open source (not linked between 'community' and 'purchased' editions)
long standing project
would provide calendaring features and contacts
can be linked with funambol to provide links to mobile phones, outlook and other data pools

cheers
PS Congrats to developers on 2.0 rc

Svein Wisnaes

• Zen Samurai
  • A Norwegian living in Brazil
    • View Profile
    • Oceanwatcher Media | Svein Wisnaes
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2010, 02:39:47 pm »
Wow - never heard of Citadel before! Looks interesting!

For me, sync of addressbook is the number one priority. Then calendar. Including sync with handheld devices. Then comes a wiki and some other collaboration tools.

At the bottom comes mail!
Regards,

Oceanwatcher
Do NOT use PM for support. This is a community forum and support is not on a one-on-one basis.
READ BEFORE POSTING - How to make a good post - click here

bbking

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2010, 03:02:30 pm »
Wow - never heard of Citadel before! Looks interesting!

For me, sync of addressbook is the number one priority. Then calendar. Including sync with handheld devices. Then comes a wiki and some other collaboration tools.

At the bottom comes mail!

these are almost the answers to a survey....  ;D
I will put something together and hopefully most users will participate...

centaur5

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2010, 06:35:04 pm »
I would hope that Citadel isn't the choice.  I used Citadel before I started using Ebox and it was a great product but doesn't have very many mature methods to sync with Evolution or Thunderbird as a complete groupware solution.  The web interface is also quite confusing for most people so using that instead of a client isn't fun.

J. A. Calvo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • http://blogs.zentyal.org/jacalvo
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2010, 04:39:08 pm »
Hi all,

First of all, thanks again for all your feedback, it's really appreciated.

I would like to announce that we have already chosen the official replacement for eGroupware in Zentyal. It will be Zarafa and the first beta is going to be included in the new Zentyal 2.0-rc2 installer.

We know that many of you proposed Zimbra, but as we have already mentioned, Zimbra is more a separate appliance than a component that can be integrated with Zentyal. Contrary to that, Zarafa is fully integrable, as its dependencies are the same as the Zentyal ones (Postfix, Apache, ...) and it doesn't includes its own software, which also makes the maintenance more difficult.

Additionally, we feel more comfortable with Zarafa as we have been working with a customer on Zarafa integration and they are very happy with an experimental Zarafa integrated with Zentyal. So far, the feedback has been very positive. For example, the synchronization with mobile devices works out of the box.

Finally, Zarafa provides the most popular features that were used in eGroupware: contacts, calendars, tasks... so we think is perfect as a Groupware module.

Anyhow, we want you to know that we have not forgotten the Zimbra integration that has been proposed by many of you a number of times. One community member has already sent a Zimbra integration HOWTO and we hope to give it a good look soon as well as to be able to include it in the official documentation too.
Zentyal Server Lead Developer

mparic

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2010, 01:06:41 am »
Is the Zarafa module available in 1.5.14 or do we need to reinstall with the 2.0 installer?

J. A. Calvo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • http://blogs.zentyal.org/jacalvo
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2010, 01:30:21 am »
Yes, it is also available in the repository, have a look at this:

http://forum.ebox-platform.com/index.php?topic=4428.msg19617#msg19617
Zentyal Server Lead Developer

Svein Wisnaes

• Zen Samurai
  • A Norwegian living in Brazil
    • View Profile
    • Oceanwatcher Media | Svein Wisnaes
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2010, 03:45:52 am »
Regards,

Oceanwatcher
Do NOT use PM for support. This is a community forum and support is not on a one-on-one basis.
READ BEFORE POSTING - How to make a good post - click here

francesco_r

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2010, 05:12:50 pm »
I'm now returned in this forum after a while and i 'm bit surprised to see that eGroupware was dropped.
I use it in my company from 2005 (version 1.0!) and i have many customers that use this product successfully. I know Zarafa, i like the web ajax interface and the ActiveSync compatibility, but there is one aspect that i don't like: the email messages are stored in proprietary format and not like Dovecot (or Courier) in standard Maildir format.

With Ebox/Zentyal 2.0 who will manage POP3/IMAP email messages? Zarafa with IMAP/POP gateway or still Dovecot?
If Dovecot is still the main IMAP/POP3 server and Zarafa is enabled, the messages received with both apps will be separated?
If send a message with Zarafa, wll i have in Maildir the same message in the "Sent" folder?

Regarding eGroupware, i think that have more advanced calendaring, addressbook and email functions that Zarafa, but for me is not a problem if it's not present by default in Zantyal, i can install later with the official ubuntu packages available in the www.egroupware.org.

For zarafa, i advice you install also this script to enable the LDAP Address Book:
http://www.zarafa.com/integrations/zarafa-2-ldap-integration

Francesco

jsalamero

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2010, 08:09:50 pm »
You can have both Zarafa and Dovecot running at the same time, you just select the mail going to Zarafa, others go to Dovecot. Mail sent from/to Zarafa doesn't go to Dovecot so won't be present in your maildir. If you don't enable Zarafa Gateways, you can still using Dovecot for POP3/IMAP :D
Also user quota is shared between both system system. I hope that replies to your questions and we are open to any feedback on this new software integration :)

pankajunk

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
there also hyperoffice as an alternative

http://www.hyperoffice.com/sp