Author Topic: [SOLVED] Possible with Zentyal?  (Read 3102 times)

sheck

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
[SOLVED] Possible with Zentyal?
« on: December 28, 2010, 10:10:50 pm »
Hi all,

i just played around a little bit with zentyal - looks very promising! If found some information in the docs and forum, but it would be great if anybody could clarify two things:

- If using master/slave setup - is it possible to use other services like mail on the master-server or does this still break sync to the slave-servers with zentyal 2.x? I read that the master must only run userandgroups, but the post was (hopefully) only valid for eBox 1.3...

- If its not possible to use mail-services on the master - how can I integrade 3rd Party Tools which need ldap-access for account-information AND email? As far as I understood the master-ldap doesnt has email-entries. Is it possible to use the ldap from the slave with email-service for this?

Thanks in advance,
Steve
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 04:17:32 pm by sheck »

Jaime Soriano

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
Re: Possible with Zentyal?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 12:51:40 pm »
Hi,

Thanks for your interest in Zentyal Server :)

- If using master/slave setup - is it possible to use other services like mail on the master-server or does this still break sync to the slave-servers with zentyal 2.x? I read that the master must only run userandgroups, but the post was (hopefully) only valid for eBox 1.3...

No, it's not possible, this limitation is still present in Zentyal 2.0.

- If its not possible to use mail-services on the master - how can I integrade 3rd Party Tools which need ldap-access for account-information AND email? As far as I understood the master-ldap doesnt has email-entries. Is it possible to use the ldap from the slave with email-service for this?

You can use any module from the slave server, including mail.

Regards,
Jaime.

sheck

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 01:31:05 pm »
Hi Jaime,

thanks for the fast answer! I think my second question was not very understandable (sorry not native):

Quote from: sheck on December 28, 2010, 10:10:50 pm

You can use any module from the slave server, including mail.

To clarify this - I have a master-server with only userandgroups running and a slave with mail-services running. Now I need to provide ldap-access for some 3rd party apps. If I use the master ldap for this purpose, I am missing the mail-entries inside the ldap (mail:xxx). So any chance to establish a ldap-connection to master or slave (with mail-service on) and getting access to ldap user-information (authentication) AND ldap user-mail-adresses?

Thanks,
Steve

Jaime Soriano

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 08:54:41 pm »
Hi,

Ok, I think that I understand your question now, what you want is to connect from a third-party application with the Zentyal LDAP server, isn't it?

In principle you could use any master or slave server, but as you need the mail information you'll have to connect to the slave with the mail module installed.

You can find the needed connection settings in "Users and Groups ->LDAP Settings". Remember also to open the ports in the firewall if needed. A slave Zentyal server has three LDAP instances (frontend, translucent and replica). You should try to connect with frontend (port 389) or replica (port 1389).

Regards,

sheck

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 04:16:39 pm »
Hi Jaime,

thanks, this was exactly what I was looking for  :)

Best regdards,
Steve