Author Topic: Zarafa - ebox  (Read 7810 times)

lucaspr

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Zarafa - ebox
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2010, 02:30:41 pm »
It would be interesting to see what of the groupware systems that has more functions and especially connectivity in the free version.

Zarafa seems to have serious limitations on the free version. What about the others?

What do you mean by connectivity (connections to outlook, other mail systems (exchange for example), connectivity to the backend for user sync?

And how about SOGo? It's not as feature rich as Zarafa, but what I read about it it's easier to install and uses funambol (don't know anything about it, never used it) as 3rd app for sync.

Svein Wisnaes

• Zen Samurai
  • A Norwegian living in Brazil
    • View Profile
    • Oceanwatcher Media | Svein Wisnaes
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2010, 04:41:47 pm »
Connectivity for me is

Outlook
Thunderbird
Kontact (the PIM in KDE)
Evolution (the PIM in Ubuntu)
etc

Nokia phones
Blackberry
Android based phones
iPhones
etc.

This is just a minimum of what SHOULD be available. Outlook and iPhone is not nearly enough. And a webinterface is not something I like when I travel. I frequently go to places with poor or no internet connectivity, and then I need to have the information with me and available.
Regards,

Oceanwatcher
Do NOT use PM for support. This is a community forum and support is not on a one-on-one basis.
READ BEFORE POSTING - How to make a good post - click here

centaur5

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2010, 09:30:45 pm »
I completely agree with Oceanwatcher on that one.  I've been waiting for a decent groupware solution that will preferably work with Evolution's notes and tasks.  Almost anything will work with Thunderbird mail/calendar but notes and tasks would be a real win to have.  Also pushing to phones is something I intend to do.  If Zarafa has those features and is easier to integrate with Ebox then I vote for it.  However, if Zimbra is the only solution then it should be the one.

satyris

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2010, 09:06:39 am »
I chose ebox/zentyal because of egroupware and KDE Kontact. So, for me it is quite essential to have a solution which has the possibility to connect Kontact and Groupware together.

The main points for me are: Kalendar and Adressbook

lucaspr

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2010, 01:58:12 pm »
Never thought I'd get so much reactions  :).
How about creating a (whish) list and searching for the right Groupware afterwards? Maybe this search has been done, don't know that now. I'm not intending to invent the wheel again, so if this has been done before.. please don't read on :)!

maybe it's better to start a new thread, I could manage that later (if my post is a problem, inform me, and I'll start a new thread)

So (for now) the list of connectivity whishes:
Software clients:
Outlook
Thunderbird
Kontact (the PIM in KDE)
Evolution (the PIM in Ubuntu)

Mobile clients:

Nokia phones
Blackberry
Android based phones
iPhones

And a (short!) list of possible groupware-packages:

Package:                                Supports all mobile:              Supports all software clients:
SOGo
Zarafa (free ed)
eGroupware
Zimbra
Scalix

now to fill the blanks and add more to the list!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 02:01:15 pm by lucaspr »

chrisman

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2010, 11:58:16 pm »
afaik the main problem is that there is no open source outlook conector which works 100% the rest android iphone pushmail etc should not be the problem.

lucaspr

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2010, 02:25:10 pm »
so it seems to bee...

I found a chart on wikipedia which displays my chart in a great way...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_collaborative_software

So.. what a mess.. Why isn't it easier as this? Guess then one will have to pay for it. But if this works I could (re-)sell it! But for now I rest my case, but when I find something I'll let you know! And I'll keep an eye on this thread!

J. A. Calvo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • http://blogs.zentyal.org/jacalvo
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2010, 05:03:33 pm »
The first beta version of the Zarafa module has been published. To install it:

Add the zarafa repository to your /etc/apt/sources.list file:

deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu lucid partner

And then:

apt-get update
apt-get install ebox-zarafa
Zentyal Server Lead Developer

Svein Wisnaes

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2010, 06:49:05 pm »
The first beta version of the Zarafa module has been published.

Great! Installing right now. This is definitely something I want to try!
Regards,

Oceanwatcher
Do NOT use PM for support. This is a community forum and support is not on a one-on-one basis.

Svein Wisnaes

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2010, 07:17:09 pm »
I think that there should be a label in the module status that indicated that the groupware is Zarafa. I was wondering a little whether I was enabling eGroupWare or Zarafa.
Regards,

Oceanwatcher

Svein Wisnaes

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2010, 03:44:49 am »
Regards,

Oceanwatcher

lucaspr

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2010, 01:19:42 pm »
Whoo hooo!!

I just love this project!! :-D

Just when i started to give up on Zarafa! Thanx a million for integrating this! I use webmail all the time, so a nice interface is welcome (roundcube is a little limited eg no calendar!) and the sync functions are very welcome to me!

I'm installing now! thanx Oceanwatcher for posting the replies!

snarf77

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2010, 10:23:59 am »
Hi,

I posted a similar post concerning Zentyal - Zarafa but got no answer. Perhaps I posted in the wrong section, that's why I try a second one here. Sorry for the inconvenience, let me know if this is a problem for modos.
----

I'm also very interested in making Zarafa works together with zentyal for a small business company need.
Up to know Zarafa module is working trough webaccess (fresh install of zentyal 2.0 (on ubunt 10.04 server) with zarafa module installed thanks to the zentyal GUI) as I can connect using my ldap ebox contact and sending/receiving mails also from webaccess

Great Job ..

BUT
I can no more access mails from thunderbird or evolution mail client. I guess I have to configure the zarafa gateway but even in reading the zarafa manual I can't get this working.

Another issue is that my ebox contacts are not visible in the zarafa webaccess Contacts menu whereas I can choose them when writing an email ??? Seems to be only visible in certain menu of zarafa ? Is it linked to an AdressBook ldap config in ebox ?

At last, does anyone succeed in syncing calendar with thunderbird and/or evolution.

A little help is warmly welcome to finalize installation into a fully functional business config.

Thank you

Snarf