Author Topic: Setting up software RAID 1/mirroring on Ubuntu server  (Read 3388 times)

Svein Wisnaes

• Zen Samurai
  • A Norwegian living in Brazil
    • View Profile
    • Oceanwatcher Media | Svein Wisnaes
Setting up software RAID 1/mirroring on Ubuntu server
« on: July 01, 2008, 04:11:05 am »
The first thing I want from a server is for it to keep my data safe. Without this the server is not more trustworthy than a normal PC - maybe even less since it is going to be on all the time and used by several people at the same time...

So at least I want RAID 1 on it. As it turns out Ubuntu can do this in software, so I am going to try to set this up. Would be really nice if the eBox image came with this feature already set up and made it a little easier for all of us.

Actually, I am not trying to set up my bootdrive as RAID1, I want to additional drives to run as RAID1 and use these drives as my data drives. I guess they should be used for /usr? It is where I want all user generated data to live.

I found an article on http://advosys.ca/viewpoints/2007/04/setting-up-software-raid-in-ubuntu-server/ that talks about setting up RAID1 as boot on a new install. They also link to the HOWTO.

Has anyone tried this and can tell a little bit about it?

It seems to be fairly straightforward to set up a RAID1 system. But what do I do to eventually set this as my datadrive?
Regards,

Oceanwatcher
Do NOT use PM for support. This is a community forum and support is not on a one-on-one basis.
READ BEFORE POSTING - How to make a good post - click here