Author Topic: eBox fails to set static IP  (Read 2090 times)

gavster

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
eBox fails to set static IP
« on: June 29, 2008, 03:29:38 am »
I recently installed eBox on a fresh Xubuntu 8.04 system.  When I use the Network->Interfaces panel in eBox to configure a wireless network interface with a static IP, nothing is actually configured.  The Interfaces panel shows the static address configuration, but the Summary panel shows the DHCP assigned address.  The system also responds on the DHCP assigned address rather than the statically assigned one.  Investigating from the command line, ifconfig and /etc/network/interfaces show the interface to be configured by DHCP.  Is there some setting that I need to make to allow eBox to actually configure the system?

sixstone

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • Sixstone's blog
Re: eBox fails to set static IP
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 09:53:44 am »
I should suppose you have saved changes. If so, there is probably a dhcp client setting things into a mess. Try to find and kill them all :).

Cheers.
My secret is my silence...

javi

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
Re: eBox fails to set static IP
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 06:54:08 pm »
Hi,

If you have installed eBox from the Ubuntu repository, you will be running eBox 0.11.99 and it had a  bug in the module network if you installed eBox and you changed from a dhcp configured interface to a static interface.

You can either updagrade your installation using the packages from our repository, or easily workaround the problem by editing /etc/network/interfaces and removing the dhcp interface.

The problem with that version is that when the machine boots, the system starts the network based on what there's in /etc/network/interfaces. When ebox-network starts, it runs /etc/init.d/network stop and eBox takes care of configuring the interfaces according to your configuration. /etc/init.d/network stop should stop the dhclient process, but sometimes it doesn't and that's why you could experiencing some issues.