Author Topic: Printer Issues  (Read 1368 times)

Geelong PC Creations

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • geelong pc creations
Printer Issues
« on: April 19, 2010, 01:43:47 pm »
Hi im trying to complete my setup which now just lacks printing capability i have configured the printers under ubuntu 9.10 they work fine with adding the brother-cups-wrapper-bh7 etc for my brother dcp-130c and the splix printer package for my samsung scx-4216 under ebox 1.4 i can setup cups to do this but it hangs on the page of trying to add printer driver (after i add the drivers cups brings up the right drivers) and just goes to a white page with no text after about 10 minuets)

is this a cups thing or am i missing something

Geelong PC Creations

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • geelong pc creations
Re: Printer Issues
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 03:12:56 pm »
root will not work and ive tried
sudo usermod -aG lpadmin username

which didnt work either

alemartini

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Printer Issues
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 08:13:13 am »
Hi demidragon,

Unfortunately, the printer sharing interface seems to be deeply broken (at least in eBox 1.4.x running on Ubuntu 8.04). While searching these forums, which I'm sure you've done, you'll find countless problems reported on that area, most of them without proper solutions or workarounds.

So far the best approach seems to be to bypass eBox completely and get the printers set up through the CUPS management interface, so I think you're on the right track.

And let's hope that one day we can see printer sharing working properly in eBox... maybe in the 2.0 release? Even if it's nice to have new and cool features on every release, I think that it would be better to get the current feature set working as expected... :-)

Oh, and BTW the documentation would also need a major rewrite and address several topics, such as explaining what the "standalone CUPS" setting means / how it works / when to enable it (and when not to), providing troubleshooting guidelines for frequent printing issues, etc... What we have now (http://doc.ebox-platform.com/en/printers.html) is rather shallow.

Best regards,
Alex