Author Topic: Advertised networks not set in vpn client routing table  (Read 1522 times)

MrG

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Advertised networks not set in vpn client routing table
« on: July 28, 2010, 11:30:33 am »
Hi,

Pardon me if this post has been posted before.

I've came across ebox solutions a few days ago and found that its a great product do decide to give it a try.

eBox's VPN solution is based on open vpn server, which I have some experience with it.

I've configure eBox as a vpn firewall and my clients is able to connect to the eBox's box, except the advertised networks which was define in the eBox console, was not able to ping.

Doing a netstat -rn in windows, I'm able to see my route table which does not show the default route for VPN or the advertised networks.

However, when I enable add route to the routing table e.g
"route add 192.168.2.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 192.168.4.1"

I'm able to ping my advertised networks.

Another 2 things which I obeserve is:
1) eBox does not give the client a default gateway
2) does not set IP address.

As I've mention, I do have some experience with openvpn. I've try to meddle its config file in attempt to push some settings but was not able to take in place as when I restart the VPN daemon, the changes I made to the config for VPN is lost.

Kindly please advise what have I missed out? Thanks.

Javier Amor Garcia

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Advertised networks not set in vpn client routing table
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 01:49:52 pm »
Hi MrG,
 in fact the server should push the advertised network route to the client, Are you sure you saved changes after adding the advertised network?.

The other two options that you comemtn are not implemented.

However take in account in most acenarios the client will not want their default gateway reset, because they will use VPN to access only their private networks and typically their regular internet access will be faster.

The "give specific address to client" option is also not implemented but if you really need it you could edit by hand the ipp.txt file to assign IP addresses to the clients.

Cheers,
  Javier