Author Topic: Samba: non-admin users cannot write to shares [RESOLVED]  (Read 2661 times)

zoot

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Samba: non-admin users cannot write to shares [RESOLVED]
« on: July 02, 2010, 01:21:28 pm »
Hi there

I'm using an up-to-date system, running ebox 1.4.4.

I have added users to the 'everyone' group and given the 'everyone' group read and write access to the share /home/samba/shares/projects.

The problem:

WinXP users who are not admin users cannot write to the share, despite read/write being configured.

Samba config: http://www.pastie.org/1027959

Possible caveat (quotas on filesystems?):

Any clue as to why users can't write to the share, even though they're configured to have write access? Has ebox failed to update the LDAP DB properly?

Thanks
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 04:16:03 pm by zoot »

zoot

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Samba: non-admin users cannot write to shares
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 12:42:49 pm »
Please could someone attempt to help. Let me know what other information I should share in order to trouble-shoot this.

Thanks.

chivar

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 10:17:22 am »
im upping this thread :) im also experiencing this. what i temporarily did was make all users admin to their group and shared folder 

cougarmaster

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 03:44:11 pm »
Hi guys,

Have a look at this link would likely solve your problem.

http://trac.ebox-platform.com/wiki/Document/HowTo/EnableACLs

Good luck
Eric

zoot

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 07:00:41 pm »
Thanks Eric, finally a response :)

I'm not convinced that downgrading from 1.4.4-0ubuntu1~ppa1~hardy1 to 1.4.3-0ubuntu1~ppa1~hard1~acl1_all.deb would be the correct solution?

Surely the former already has ACLs? I ask this, because my samba partitions /home and /srv/nas are already mounted with ACL support.

I have done the above (remotely) despite my concerns and will test them tomorrow and report back.

zoot

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 07:04:01 pm »
I see my hunch was correct. ACLs are already included in the version I had installed, so will revert. Here's the reference post:

http://forum.ebox-platform.com/index.php?topic=3814.0

... which means my issue is not resolved yet :(

cougarmaster

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 08:43:33 pm »
Hi zoot,
    Sorry I can't be much help as I am not experienced enough to solve your problem. In my experience was I just followed the requirement set out and it worked flawlessly. I had to install many times before I got the hang of it as its more of a configuration than why it doesn't work. It should work but you may need to read more on samba configs and acl or buy some support from ebox which will help support them and get what you need working. Sorry for not being much help as I am still learning linux.

Good luck
Eric

bero

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 11:03:23 am »
Forgive me for being hasty,  I've just glanced at this topic, but I wonder how the unix rights are configured. In order for samba to play well, both smb permissions and unix permissions have to be set up correctly.

The everyone group should be the owner of the projects folder and all subfolders and as a group it should have read, write and execute rights upon files and folders inside the projects folder.

Unix rights can be managed through console (I'd recommend Putty SSH client). Once logged in the console cd to /home/samba/shares.
Then ls -l and examine the output.

Should modifications be made, chmod and chown commands will do the job. Just google for the correct syntax.

br, Gasper

zoot

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 04:14:42 pm »
I resolved my issue by adding the following repo to /etc/apt/sources.list

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/ebox/1.4-proposed/ubuntu hardy main

and running:

apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade

So, now we're able to connect Windows XP machines, but absolutely nothing works with Windows 7, despite trying out the registry changes recommended on various forums. Will be downgrading that client machine to Windows XP... makes zero sense to waste additional time on a single workstation in an office.

cougarmaster

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
Re: Samba: non-admin users cannot write to shares [RESOLVED]
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2010, 10:14:11 am »
Hi zoot,
    There is a link to a patch that you need to apply for windows 7 access on ebox. Search you'll be able to find it as I just reinstalled my computer I don't have the links.

Good Luck
Eric

zoot

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2010, 10:29:12 am »
I have tried the various "confirmed to work" registry changes, including the one given by:

http://trac.ebox-platform.com/raw-attachment/wiki/Document/HowTo/Windows7Support/ebox-win7.reg

... to no avail. The Windows 7 PC simply times-out trying to connect to the ebox server and has exactly the above changes applied. It is however, able to connect to shares on other Windows XP PCs.

sirexz

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2010, 02:49:11 pm »
Same problem here, but I found what causes this problem!

I have a system user A, created with useradd and also user with same name A in eBox. When I check user A from console:
Code: [Select]
$ id A
uid=1000(A) gid=1000(A) groups=1000(A),4(adm),20(dialout),24(cdrom),46(plugdev),109(sambashare),113(lpadmin),114(admin),513(Domain Users)

Also there is user B created only from eBox:
$ id A
uid=2023(B) gid=1901(__USERS__) groups=1901(__USERS__),513(Domain Users)

New shared folder has these rights:
$ drw-rw--- 2 ebox __USERS__ 4096 2010-07-28 15:31 /home/samba/shares/boo

Both users (A and B) in eBox have same rights, but only B user can access boo share, because he has correct groups created by eBox.

So the problem is with system users. Don't know how to fix it and how to add an LDAP group tu system user?