Author Topic: Virtual machines and bridge interface  (Read 2823 times)

FastLaneJB

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Virtual machines and bridge interface
« on: September 18, 2011, 05:29:04 pm »
Hi,

I cannot seem to make a bridged interface with QEmu and if I uninstall that and put on Virtualbox I then can but no VM will ever start with it. I just get an error on trying to start it.

How do I make this work?

Cheers

FastLaneJB

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Virtual machines and bridge interface
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 10:05:09 pm »
I've made a clean install of Zentyal and still I just cannot get it to work. I can fire up a VM in KVM but only with a NAT NIC and not a Bridged NIC. If I put VirtualBox on and remove KVM I get the different VirtualBox options like picking OS instead of i386 / amd64 but I cannot then start a VM at all. This is making a new VM by the way as I didn't leave any left behind before removing KVM.

Am I missing something obvious because it seems like it doesn't work out of the box so to speak :(

vshaulsk

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 10:34:34 pm »
I found an issue trying to first use KVM and than switching over to virtualbox.  If I ran the VM inside the Zentyal dashboard it would not throw any errors (simply not start).  However if I created a VM using the desktop virtualbox application it gave me an error on startup. 

I don't remember what the error was or what the cli command I had to use to fix it.  I googled the error and found a fix that way.  It had to do with something about KVM not being completely removed......
I have since than reinstalled Zentyal completely.  Upon installation I removed KVM and installed virtualbox before I ever installed the Zentyal virtual machine manager.  I have since have had no issues with virtualbox or creating VM's

half_life

• Bug Hunter
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 05:23:02 am »
Bridging implies that there is another "real" interface out there set to be bridged.  Is any of your NIC's set in bridge mode ?  Does there exist a br1 under network ---> interfaces?

FastLaneJB

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 08:49:14 am »
vshaulsk, Thanks for the info. I'll have to try a clean install again and give that a whirl. Though I've no issue using KVM either if that works.

half_life, I'm not at the box currently but I'm sure there is no br1, just eth0 as this box has a single NIC as a fresh install. Can I create a bridged interface on this using the web GUI or will I need to drop to the command line for this?

gabor.strama

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2024, 09:31:21 pm »
Hi,

Have you any news in this case?

THX,

BR,
GáborS