Author Topic: Can't set up filtered extensions properly in HTTP Proxy  (Read 1650 times)

alemartini

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Can't set up filtered extensions properly in HTTP Proxy
« on: June 24, 2010, 05:34:10 am »
Hi, DansGuardian provides a list of around 80 file extensions that could be considered harmful for different reasons. The default filter profile in eBox allows all of them by default. So this is what I'd like to do:

• Block all those extensions in the default profile (this one is easy and seems to work as expected)
  • Create additional profiles, whose blocked extensions should be based on the default profile, but with some exceptions (e.g., blocking some extensions not present in the default profile). And this is where configuration seems to fail.

If I edit an additional profile (one created by me) and select "Use default profile configuration" under the "File extension filtering tab", then I'm no longer able to allow or deny specific file extensions for that profile.

After seeing that odd behaviour, I went to check what exactly is eBox doing to the DG configuration, and this is what I've found. Instead of creating a copy of the bannedextensionlist1 file for each profile that is set to "Use default profile configuration" (thus allowing further customizations), eBox just points every profile to that very same file.

So my question is: how do I set up the HTTP Proxy so that filtered extensions can be inherited from the default profile, but also customized for each specific filter profile?

I see that a possible workaround is to avoid using the "Use default profile configuration" checkbox, but that makes the process needlessly complicated and error prone (considering the need to set up lots of extensions for each profile, and then maintaining them and keeping them in sync).

I hope there's some way to solve this.

Thanks in advance,
Alex
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 05:39:04 am by alemartini »

jsalamero

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Can't set up filtered extensions properly in HTTP Proxy
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 10:15:11 am »
You can't do that from the web interface at the moment, but it's an interesting usability improvement, going to take note of that on the ebox-squid whishlist. Thanks!

alemartini

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Can't set up filtered extensions properly in HTTP Proxy
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 01:59:07 am »
Thanks a lot for the quick reply.

In case you find it useful, here are a couple of links to documentation that shows common scenarios for DG setups, which involve some kind of inheritance between filters:

Setting the group filtering settings
Reusing configuration files

It seems that by leveraging the .Include directive provided by DG, this shouldn't be difficult to implement in future eBox releases.

Best regards,
Alex