Author Topic: [SOLVED]How to mount the Users eBox Home(PDC) directory?  (Read 3067 times)

markblake

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
[SOLVED]How to mount the Users eBox Home(PDC) directory?
« on: June 15, 2010, 04:24:49 pm »
I can connect to my users home directory on the ebox server, from my Ubuntu 10.04 desktop, using this path:  smb://[username]@ebox/[username]/
so no problem there.

However I want to permanently mount this Home folder, so I enter these commands into /etc/ftstab

//ebox/[username]  /media/homeShare  cifs  username=[username],password=[password]  0  0

and I get a permissions error.  Yet I using exactly the same login credentials?
Maybe the path to the resource on //ebox/[username] is wrong?
When i check the Mountpount it says that the owner is user #2002, which I assume is the reference to the useraccount on the server.

And when when i mount a normal shared resource, using the exact same login credentials again, it works. (yep i know its not secure to set up fstab this way, i shall secure it when its working);

//ebox/[sharename]  /media/eboxShare  cifs  username=[username],password=[password]  0  0

« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 12:23:23 pm by markblake »

markblake

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: How to mount the Users eBox Home(PDC) directory?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 03:55:29 pm »
Sorry, can someone help me out here,   is my question too silly, too hard, or in the FAQ?

alemartini

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 06:51:55 am »
Hi Mark, I've been testing and using eBox in different environments for more than 6 months. As you can imagine, I needed help several times.

At first I used to get quick and helpful answers in the forums, sometimes from users with more experience, sometimes from the developers themselves. Unfortunately, this seems to have changed in the last weeks (months?), and now I hardly get a reply. I wonder if this happens because of a lack of  interest, a lack of knowledge, a lack of time, or some combination of those... It's just a comment, not a complaint -- after all, people on these forums are helping for free.

With regard to your question, have you tried using your eBox IP address instead of //ebox?

You can also take a look at this page for more information and examples:

http://opensuse.swerdna.org/susesambacifs.html#permanent

Best regards,
Alex.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 06:55:25 am by alemartini »

Svein Wisnaes

• Zen Samurai
  • A Norwegian living in Brazil
    • View Profile
    • Oceanwatcher Media | Svein Wisnaes
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 04:40:00 am »
Mark and Alex,

There are two things that influence the forum these days:

Holiday and eBox 2.0  ;)

The devs are VERY busy right now. Also, as you noted, this is a forum where you will get help from people on the basis of what they have time to help with and what things they have knowledge about. As the community grows, there will be more people in here to help, but right now it can be a little quiet.

I will post some things in a few days that at least will help you in making the first post as informative as possible so there is a bigger chance to get help.
Regards,

Oceanwatcher
Do NOT use PM for support. This is a community forum and support is not on a one-on-one basis.
READ BEFORE POSTING - How to make a good post - click here

markblake

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 06:24:52 am »
You can also take a look at this page for more information and examples:
http://opensuse.swerdna.org/susesambacifs.html#permanent

Thanks Alex, the solution to the issue was there, just a bit further down the page.
http://opensuse.swerdna.org/susesambacifs.html#permown

namely adding the parameters uid= and gid=
Code: [Select]
//192.168.44.100/share   /path_to/mount   cifs   username=server_user,password=secret,_netdev,uid=client_user,gid=users   0 0
I simply defined uid= as my login name on my workstation, which was different to the server username and may well have been the cause.  I shall find out later when i repeat this on another workstation where the usernames on client and server are identical.

once i read the information - obvious really!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 06:34:01 am by markblake »