Author Topic: First version of the new FTP module released!  (Read 5384 times)

J. A. Calvo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • http://blogs.zentyal.org/jacalvo
First version of the new FTP module released!
« on: June 07, 2010, 12:11:33 pm »
We are glad to announce that the brand new module that eBox 2.0 will include is already packaged for the development version (1.5).

Take into account that this is a new module and may not fulfill your expectations. Your feedback will help us to improve it.

For more information about installing 1.5 packages, please read the following:

http://trac.ebox-platform.com/wiki/Document/Documentation/InstallationGuide#eBoxPlatform1.5packages
Zentyal Server Lead Developer

jquintao

• Board Moderator
  • Zen Hero
  • jquintao
    • View Profile
    • NetSol
Re: First version of the new FTP module released!
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 06:24:27 pm »
Hi Jose,

Is possible try this FTP module in 1.4.x version too?

Thanks,
Jorge Quintao

J. A. Calvo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 11:04:37 pm »
You can try to get the source from the svn repository, I suppose only a few changes should be required (specially in the packaging) to make it work on hardy. But we only are going to maintain it for 2.0.

ctek

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 11:18:34 pm »
Thank you ! This new module is greatly appreciated and expected
will this mean that we can expect some of the rest modules in wishlist ? :)

Keep it up and thank you again !

Best regards
Bogdan

J. A. Calvo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 11:50:04 pm »
I'm afraid that in addition to ftp, the only new module we can promise for 2.0 is one for thin clients management. Take into account that the change from Ubuntu 8.04 to 10.04 has required a lot of effort so we can't add as much features as we would have liked to.

flashbios

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Electronics, Bioschip & WebDesign services
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 02:36:43 pm »
Just installed Ebox 1.4.2 again.

Which ftp-system is used for the new ftp-module ?

I need the ftp-system, but because 1.5 is not ready yet (and got some problems with the 64bits version) I want to setup ftp in 1.4.2

Any help would be appreciated ;-) 

(and a lot of others would be happy too !

ichat

• Zen Hero
  • RTFM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 07:40:53 pm »
I'm afraid that in addition to ftp, the only new module we can promise for 2.0 is one for thin clients management. Take into account that the change from Ubuntu 8.04 to 10.04 has required a lot of effort so we can't add as much features as we would have liked to.

to be honnest and with all due respect but isn't that a shame.  (a verry big shame).

if this is true, than why in all loving things are you working toward a 2.0 version instead of (for example  1.6)

id say and thats from a fair experience in project development,   that  a lower version increase with fewer expectations  could help speed up  the 'getting' ready for a quick release.   

but that in all is not all to usefull to debate. 

id rather see a  'test release of the  1.5  stuf..  even if its 'beta'  quality   a set of ready made ISO's would encourage peole to test this.  and to find buggs

All tips hints and advices are based on my personal experience.
As I try my best to be as accurate as possible, following my advice is always at your own risk,
I claim absolutely NO responsibility in any way!

jsalamero

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2010, 09:24:42 am »
Next release will be named 2.0 because changes the base from Ubuntu LTS 08.04 to Ubuntu LTS 10.04. Please, take in mind that no many new modules doesn't mean that nothing important is being done. Bug fixing, polishing and stabilizing existing modules is already a big step.

Saturn2888

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 10:32:13 am »
@ Everyone here

One of the big things all the community members, myself included, wanted from the eBox devs for the 2.0 release was solidifying the current working set of features. We had all had our problems with eBox through betas and supported versions, especially the LDAP feature, and many people, while most wanting something like Zimbra, said that the best thing for eBox is for it to be better at what it advertises.

Keeping this in mind, I'm not the least bit let down by knowing there's hardly anything new in 2.0 because I've already seen the benefits of upgrading to Lucid from Hardy. I also notice a lot of neat changes to the Dashboard which make it a bit more dynamic both visually and in how it updates. It's like tuning a computer, you do all of these little changes like clean out the fans, get better graphics card heatsinks, and other things, but in most cases, your case is closed, there is no window, and all of that goes unseen. There were no new features, nothing, you just have a better-running system, and this is what eBox 2.0 is. I'm surprised there are new features at all. Also, the 1.4 release had some features added along the way like adapter bridging and RADIUS (hopefully I'm assuming right here).

What might not be a current feature but might come along in 2.0 is the ability to bridge the OpenVPN virtual adapter. That is not a huge new feature or module, but it will add on to the current one. The same goes for HTTPS in Web Server (I needed this for 2 years) and the Jabber and Mail modules. It's all little things that come together. Yet another little one is userspace l7protos so you can traffic shape on the packet-level without having to use an ebox-custom kernel that might be a version or two behind the newest kernel release. So many nice neat features. Think of it like upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 7; it's practically the same operating system, but a lot of little things were changed.

naelq

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 06:30:42 pm »
i agree, i would like to see more features added to version 2.0, but still before that, most definitely i want version 2.0 to be as close to rock-solid stable as possible :)
keep up the good work eBox team.

nael