Author Topic: DHCP clients cannot be resolved via DNS  (Read 1978 times)

splashd

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
DHCP clients cannot be resolved via DNS
« on: April 05, 2013, 12:48:32 am »
I installed Zentyal 3.0.17. I enabled DNS and DHCP services, added DHCP client range and some fixed leases entries. In DHCP common options, I selected the Zentyal domain ("mydomain.com") as my search domain and local zentyal DNS as primary nameserver. In Dynamic DNS options I enabled and selected "mydomain.com" for dynamic and static domain. In DNS, I selected transparent cache enabled.
Given that configuration, I was expecting the ability for my client PCs to be able to resolve any local host names via DNS. I try to ping localhost2 from localhost1 and I get "ping: unknown host  localhost2". If I try to nslookup or dig a hostname, same result. Standard DNS (to external sites) works fine.

Any advice?

christian

Re: DHCP clients cannot be resolved via DNS
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 07:17:48 am »
I would suggest, once and only once your set up is achieved, to renew lease.
DNS registration occurs, if I understand well, only at the time new lease is issued and this occurs only if everything is configured.
This means that when you enabled DHCP, clients will get IP addresses but as your set up is perhaps not completed, it ill not trigger DNS registration. Completing your set-up will therefore not take in account existing leases, reason why I suggest to either wait or renew.

When you renew, look at log server side for any error.