Author Topic: Log directories  (Read 792 times)

PeterTTR

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Log directories
« on: May 29, 2023, 12:52:46 am »
Hi Team,

I'm using Zentyal 5.1 version, currently trying to find where the log files of services within Zentyal like DNS, SAMBA, LDAP, FileSharing, etc. so I can send those log files to another service for monitoring.

I couldnt find them anywhere, is there any clue please?

Many thanks, Peter

turalyon

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Log directories
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2023, 09:43:24 am »
Hi,

In the official documentation, there is a section called Most important log files, you should check it out. In fact, the whole 'Zentyal Maintenance' section is really useful to manage a Zentyal server.

* https://doc.zentyal.org/en/troubleshooting.html#most-important-log-files

--

“This world is ours, and by the Holy Light we will keep it safe, now and forever".

PeterTTR

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2023, 02:43:56 am »
Thanks turalyon for your reply, I went through all those log files in instruction but couldnt find anything relate to my request.

For example:

1. DNS I want to see logs of bind9 service. I have another bind9 service install for POC and I can see detail logs in /var/log/named/ related to query denied, resolving AAAA, etc.
2. LDAP I want to see logs of user authentication, success or not.

Please let me know if I'm able to see that logs, many thanks.

turalyon

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2023, 10:01:21 am »
Hi,

By default, the DNS module does not record much information, however, this behavior can change using the below article, just remember to use the stubs ‘named.conf.options.mas'.

* https://kb.isc.org/docs/aa-01526

Regarding the domain controller, if the log file ‘/var/log/samba/samba.log’ does not fulfill your requirements, you will need to check the documentation of Samba so you can see what is the right parameter to increase the debug level. Again, remember to use the stub smb.conf.mas

--

“This world is ours, and by the Holy Light we will keep it safe, now and forever".