Author Topic: Changing the default directory for users home folders  (Read 625 times)

Gray

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Changing the default directory for users home folders
« on: December 04, 2022, 05:09:31 pm »
Hi

O/S: Ubuntu 9.4.0-1ubuntu1~20.04.1
Zentyal: 7.0.5

I've seen a number of posts about this topic but haven't found one that answers the question yet? It seems to me it would be a fairly common requirement and therefore worth tackling.

My Zentyal server has a second drive; that second drive is mounted at /data and has a /shares subdirectory i.e. /data/shares. The shares directory is where I store my shared files (which are shared out to Windows clients). End-users will variously get an N, P, S, X and/or Z drive on their PC and for consistency's sake I would like to also put their home directories, 'H', in the /data/shares/ folder.

I've tried editing many .conf files plus useradd / adduser routines etc etc and, by amending shares.conf.mas, I have managed to persuade Windows clients to map H: to the /data/shares/username folders. However, I have to manually create those home directories (i.e. /data/shares/username) because no matter how I try, when adding new users using Zentyal webadmin the home folders are still added as /home/username !

Anyone any idea how I would force Zentyal to create new users' home folders as /data/shares/username?

Thanks
« Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 06:26:46 pm by Gray »

Gray

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Changing the default directory for users home folders
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2022, 10:03:40 am »
Hi

That's a surprise? I thought this would be quite a popular topic? I'll persevere with my experiments but, in the meantime, if anyone has any pointers I'd be grateful.

Thanks