Author Topic: Issue Setting DNS Nameservers (DNS Forwarders)  (Read 787 times)

Gray

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Issue Setting DNS Nameservers (DNS Forwarders)
« on: November 28, 2022, 09:42:43 pm »
Hi

O/S: Ubuntu 9.4.0-1ubuntu1~20.04.1
Zentyal: 7.0.5

I am trying to set the IP Address of my DNS Server in my Zentyal host (I am not using the DNS module in Zentyal). My Zentyal server IP address is 172.31.88.250 and I want it to use another host at 172.31.0.2 for its DNS lookups. 

I have added a forwarder into webadmin but it does not get committed. Equally, updating /etc/resolv.conf, is not persistent. So at the moment my Zentyal server cannot find the 'outside world'. Zentyal was installed over Ubuntu and I can't seem to shake the original Ubuntu DNS Name Server settings which are now obsolete.

Can anyone help please?

turalyon

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Issue Setting DNS Nameservers (DNS Forwarders)
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2022, 11:37:00 am »
Hi,

If you are not using the DNS module, then you need to set your network configuration from the following tabs:

* Network -> Interfaces
* Network -> Gateways
* Network -> DNS

As soon as you enable the network module and save changes, Zentyal should configure your server's network. In case of an issue, as always, you will need to analyze the log files:

* /var/log/zentyal/zentyal.log
* /var/log/syslog

--

“This world is ours, and by the Holy Light we will keep it safe, now and forever".

Gray

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: [Solved] Issue Setting DNS Nameservers (DNS Forwarders)
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2022, 12:04:19 pm »
Hi Turalyon

Again, thanks for the assistance.

I put the DNS Forwarder details back into webadmin and restarted the server a couple of times and now the details in webadmin appear to have been committed to /etc/resolv.conf.

Actually, I suspect I may have caused this issue myself by mistakenly using the more familiar resolvconf routine and thus conflicting with Zentyal.

thnx and regards