Author Topic: how do I correctly remove an additional domain controller  (Read 934 times)

juliocp1976

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
how do I correctly remove an additional domain controller
« on: September 05, 2023, 02:28:58 pm »
Hello, how do I correctly remove an additional domain controller, the primary controller (srvdc01) is ok, a secondary (srvdc02) or additional one burned the HD, it is not possible to recover it, so I created another additional controller (srvdc03) to replace it.

I ask because of this, in order not to affect my domain with the wrong removal of a controller, I already did this procedure while using Windows Server, but with SAMBA I did not find reliable material that shows how to do it, only recommendations.

I use Zentyal 7.

turalyon

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: how do I correctly remove an additional domain controller
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2023, 05:14:44 pm »
Hi,

Samba has the following article that explains how to demote (remove) a domain controller server.

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Demoting_a_Samba_AD_DC

“This world is ours, and by the Holy Light we will keep it safe, now and forever".

juliocp1976

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: how do I correctly remove an additional domain controller
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2023, 03:42:53 pm »
Okay, I had already read it but it says the following "You cannot demote an offline remote DC from a DC that runs Samba 4.4 or earlier. Update to Samba 4.4.0 or later before you continue. For details, see Updating Samba."

And the version that runs Zentyal 7 is 4.15.13, much earlier, which is why I have doubts. From what I believe there is still no reliable way.