Author Topic: Move Hard drive from HP to DELL computer  (Read 683 times)

Jeff63301

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Move Hard drive from HP to DELL computer
« on: August 18, 2022, 08:02:52 pm »
I am already guessing the answer here; however, I just want to ask and get a second opinion...

I just replaced a failed system hard drive and reinstalled EVERYTHING... Everything is running perfectly now... except the old computer (i7 first ed)  has decided to show its age... 
NOTE: This is a very low demand server; however, Plex media server has started to say not enough horse power :)

So is there any chance of just removing my new hard drive from an HP and dropping it into a Newer Dell (and saving me a lot of work...)

I assume no (given my Windows experience); however, I have HIGH HOPES Linux will show yet how much better it is...

Thanks,
Jeff Little

basselope

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
Re: Move Hard drive from HP to DELL computer
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2022, 10:33:24 am »
This does not look like a Zentyal question and you are not giving us a lot of detail either.
It should be possible to move your Windows Plex to Linux and also preserve the metadata but the settings are stored differently.
You can find plenty of advice on how to go about it with a simple Google search for something like move Plex media server to Linux and starting from sites lie Reddit.

Jeff63301

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Move Hard drive from HP to DELL computer
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2022, 09:47:53 pm »
Ok to clarify, this has nothing to do with how Plex works.  Plex said my CPU was too slow for some things, after I just rebuilt everthing about 4 months ago....

I just want to know if the overly simple solution of moving the new Hard Drive from an HP to a Dell has any chance of successfully booting and running with Ubunto/Zentyal, or if it will crash and burn like it would if it were Windows.

I assume I am in for another rebuild...