Author Topic: Failing at GPO software install: MSI Properties that can't be copied [SOLVED]  (Read 1135 times)

MartijnSc

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
The last few weeks I have tried to us GPO software installation with Zentyal, but kept on failing. The setup is:
- Zentyal 7.0 Development Edition, installed on an Ubuntu 20.04 VM in Proxmox 7.1. I did not use the Zentyal Server ISO, because that gave a "Diskfilter writes not supported error" when starting the Zentyal VM, so decided to install Zentyal on top of Ubuntu.
- Windows 10 Pro client (Version 21H2) as VM in Proxmox 7.1. Was able to join the domain. RSAT (Active Directory Users and Computers, DNS and Group Policy Management) enabled.

Zentyal setup as Standalone server. Through the WEB GUI, added a new Domain Admin User, added a software share under Zentyal (/home/samba/shares), gave Administrator permission to the Domain Admins group and Read only permission for the Domain Users.

On the Windows 10 client, I logged on as the newly created Domain Admin and checked the permissions on the share through Computer Management (Connect to another computer) and checked that the security settings are as to be expected on that software share.

I was able to create a GPO (Computer Configuration) for an Interactive Logon message, which runs fine. (By the way, you have to use both the Message Text and the Message Tittle policy, without the Message Title policy enabled the Message Text will not show!).

I then wanted to try and use the software installation policy. In the Windows 10 client I downloaded 7-ZIP.msi and tried to copy it to the software share on Zentyal. I get the warning:
Are you sure you want to copy this file without its properties? The file 7-ZIP.msi has properties that can't be copied to the new location. . I understand that the EXT4 file system type cannot hold the ADS data that the MSI holds, but how should I proceed?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 12:26:58 pm by MartijnSc »

MartijnSc

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
So, to answer my own question, for future reference:

I ended up installing a TrueNAS virtual machine on Proxmox and joined it to the domain created in Zentyal.
Created a pool and share following TrueNAS instructions, giving the appropriate rights in that share through RSAT.

I was then able to deploy the group policy and 7Zip.MSI was installed on the test Win10 client.