Author Topic: [Closed] Issue with GUI on Windows 10 Hyper-V  (Read 1726 times)

mnemonicj

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
[Closed] Issue with GUI on Windows 10 Hyper-V
« on: March 12, 2021, 07:58:03 pm »
I am running Zentyal 6.0 commercial on a Hyper-V VM as a home server and only recently I am having issues with the GUI not loading after boot. The result is that the Ubuntu text interface is displayed, but the GUI seems to attempt to load every few seconds unsuccessfully. Even before I am able to login, this is what I am seeing.

1. Blank screen from power on to Ubuntu textual login screen (takes about 2.5 minutes)
2. Ubuntu textual login screen is displayed for less than 1 second
3. Blank screen with a blinking cursor is displayed for 7 seconds
4. Repeat steps #2 and #3 indefinitely

Only while in step #2 am I able to type anything, so really not at all. The only way out of this is to force Ubuntu to switch back from attempting load the GUI to the TUI by pressing CTRL+ALT+F1 and then I have a few seconds to type before it attempts to load the GUI again, cutting off my text entry until I press CTRL+ALT+F1 again. This few seconds of time is now my troubleshooting window...

I have tried removing "quiet" and changing "splash" to "nosplash" in GRUB and the Ubuntu textual login screen comes up much more quickly, but then Ubuntu finishes booting (showing me "[ OK ] Started Bind Domain Name Server" and other lines) inline with the login screen text. After boot is complete, the same Blank screen effect happens again (7 seconds off, less than 1 second on).

I am not sure where to go from here. The webGUI still works fine and Zentyal and Ubuntu don't seem to have any other problems, but when I need to fix a package that failed to install, I have to put up with a buggy TUI. Let me know if you have any ideas.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 03:40:54 am by mnemonicj »

mnemonicj

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Issue with GUI on Windows 10 Hyper-V
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2021, 10:55:13 pm »
UPDATE: I finally had the time so I decided to go back to a Checkpoint in Hyper-V of the server from August 2020. I loaded up the checkpoint and it was running as expected with no issues loading the Zentyal GUI after boot.

I then used the webGUI to check for updates, of which there were many, and I applied them all. After they were all applied, there was an error installing one or more packages, but I rebooted the server anyway. After 35 minutes waiting for the server to load there was still a black screen. So, I restored the checkpoint from August... again and confirmed it was working, GUI and all. I then downloaded and applied all of the updates, received the package install error again, went into the terminal and fixed the package installs, the rebooted the server and it booted with the original GUI loading problem I describe in my post above.

So, it is confirmed that an update broke the Zentyal GUI on my install. I am now trying to install one update package at a time to see if I can narrow down which one caused the issue, but it is a long process if I am to test each by rebooting after every package install.

mnemonicj

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Issue with GUI on Windows 10 Hyper-V
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2021, 05:34:51 am »
I went through the updates one by one and then reboot in between each install until I found an update that caused the issue described in my first post. Installing all of the updates except that one didn't fix the issue, so I made sure to include all of the packages with the same version. They are:

linux-headers-generic 4.15.0.136.123
linux-image-generic 4.15.0.136.123
linux-generic 4.15.0.136.123

If I update all of the packages on the server, except those 3, the server boots to the GUI normally. As soon as I install those packages, the GUI repeats the same issue.

Any help on what I should do next would be appreciated.

mnemonicj

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: [Closed] Issue with GUI on Windows 10 Hyper-V
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2021, 03:42:47 am »
Issue wasn't solved, because I don't know the reason for the issue, but later updates allow the GUI to load properly and when using the TUI the GUI doesn't attempt to load every 7 seconds or so.