Author Topic: DNS setup for LAN webserver  (Read 1465 times)

bertalanimre

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
DNS setup for LAN webserver
« on: February 09, 2021, 01:28:14 pm »
Hello Forum,

I'm new to Zentyal, but definitely looked promising. Was using ClearOS till now, but as it is now, I'm unable to do 2 things right now and I need your help.

I've installed Zentyal 7 for a PC that acts as our firewall. Our ISP also gave a router, so the Network is something like this:

Code: [Select]
WWW ---> ISP Router ---> Zentyal ---> LAN PCs via DHCP
We have a few servers, we wish to reach from the outside and on a different route (local route) from the inside. Just an example:
  • If Bob wants to log in to cloud.mycompany.com from home, he should be coming from the ISP, so he receives the IP for cloud.mycompany.com from the web. He should be forwarded based on the domain name towards a specific server on the LAN.
  • Now, if Bob is in the office and want's to log on to the same webapplication, he shouldn't be going thru the internet, only Zentyal who should be forwarding Bob directly to the server on the same LAN. Right now, Bob is unable to connect, unless we hardcore tell his PC via /etc/hosts the LAN IP and domain name.

I was looking at DNS server settings (module activated) and I believe I've made the right steps
  • Added new domain "mycompany.com"
  • Domain IP Addresses were kept as they are (Zentyal servers External and internal IPs)
  • Under Hostname I've added "cloud" with the LAN IP address of the server (no alias)
  • Added "cloud" to Name Servers too just for good measure
  • No Mail Exchanger, TXT record or Services were added
  • Also, it is enabled to be "Dynamic domain" in the DHCP settings (dynamic domain: mycompany.com, static domain: Same as Dynamic Domain)

The DHCP also has the "local Zentyal DNS" set for primary nameserver (no secondary was enabled)

Now, I don't know if I've missed something, but ...... AAAAND as I was writing this post, I've figured out, that what I was missing for the LAN part to work is the "Search Domain" in the DHCP common options to "mycompany.com". Enabled that to and now, I can connect to the local servers. HOWEVER, not my external servers are unreachable who are installed on VPSs all round the world and reachable via the same domain. Example: photoes.mycompany.com, staging.mycompany.com, etc.... What did I set wrong in Zenty, so every "mycompany.com" name is being processed locally and if not found, then does not goes on towards the net? (transparent DNS cache is enabled)

The 2nd issue is mabye the cause of the 1st one, but no matter if I forward 80, 443 ports via the firewall from the external NIC towards the LAN IP of the server, it get's ignored and Google Chrome just sais: ERR_ADDRESS_UNREACHABLE. While clearly the server is online, I can reach it now from a local PC, but not from home.

May I get a little assistance please?  ;D

badapple7

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: DNS setup for LAN webserver
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2021, 11:28:25 pm »
hi, the "server dns of cache" is different to "server dns of zone", i think that people confuse this, post your config bind.