Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Mail  (Read 2037 times)

HANNES1985

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
    • CSIWISP
Mail
« on: March 30, 2008, 10:38:12 pm »
I just installed ebox & im running as an isp. The internet works fine but my mail doesnt. I've tried enabling all services in the firewall. Checked mail filter settings.
Only people that wants to no more will ask!!

HANNES1985

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
    • CSIWISP
Re: Mail
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 01:58:31 am »
Guys any help would be more than nice this is what happens in the mail logs on my ebox
(reject)  (Relay access denied)        (554 <hanneswallace@yahoo.com>: Relay acc...)
ive been through  all the  posts and nothing seems to work and a quick question :

im running my ebox as a proxy for the connection to internet is it possible that my mail isnt working coz i cant ping any internet connection for example www.google.com and if its the problem how on earth do i fix this?

im still new to linux and although i struggle i think you guys are doing something incredible here nice platform thumbs up to you guys thanx :D
Only people that wants to no more will ask!!

eDRoaCH

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Mail
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 08:54:51 pm »
The relay error says it all. This is a problem I have fought with with limited success in other small enviroments (namely a mediawiki server I use at work)

What you are doing is sending email to your smtp server (Ill guess eBox's, though it could be another one on your network) then trying to relay that email from eBox's SMTP server on to the next SMTP server. This is blocked by any responsible administrator as this is exactaly how spam gets sent along. (virus puts smtp server on your computer, sends email)

The way around it is to use SMTP authentication. You will have to explore the options available to you on that. You basically need to talk to your upstream SMTP provider.

A couple more points to note. My home ISP (cox.net) blocks port 25 (smtp) explicitly, and also will not let me connect to any other smtp server other than their own.

I only know the basics here, as I havent played with the eBox mail server for exactaly these reasons the actual config is beyond me. However this should point you in the right direction.