Author Topic: "Map to guest" samba on Zentyal 5  (Read 1344 times)

stefanobr

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
"Map to guest" samba on Zentyal 5
« on: July 09, 2020, 02:53:15 am »
Hi all,

I've been trying to modify the above parameter in /etc/samba/smb.conf with no success;  "Bad User" and "Bad Password" are accepted but I need to change it to "Never" to avoid Null session attacks.
If I try to modify this parameter and set it to "Never", testparm just skips it altogether. Even just commenting it out didn't work, as "Never" is the default behaviour I kinda hoped I had found a workaround but no joy, I'm still able to reproduce a null session.

I know that Zentyal uses stubs in some cases for certain configurations, and in fact I was able to find the right one (I thought) at this location: /usr/share/zentyal/stubs/samba.
But even changing the stub there did not yield any results (if that is the intended behaviour, I'm not entirely sure).

I also found another configuration file in /etc/zentyal, but it looks like that takes care more of the GUI elements in Zentyal web interface rathen than samba itself? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Am I missing something obvious or do you have any ideas?
Oh, also my smb.conf is untouched, apart from that modification I wanted to make, so it's all standard Zentyal so to speak.

Thank you very much!
S~

doncamilo

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
Re: "Map to guest" samba on Zentyal 5
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2020, 02:56:07 pm »
 :)

The /etc/samba/smb.conf file is generated by Zentyal through the shares and smb templates. All the customizations in the smb.conf have to be done through these templates.

In order to check the validity (and application) of the custom or added parameters, try this:

Code: [Select]
sudo testparm

Cheers!
- Do my pigeons bother you passing over your land?
- They block the sun!

G. Guareschi., Don Camillo.,