Author Topic: best practices for two Zentyal servers  (Read 1106 times)

sspeed

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
best practices for two Zentyal servers
« on: November 14, 2019, 09:56:26 pm »
I'm finally convincing myself to retire the old Windows 2003 server that I have running alongside Zentyal since I have SMB1 long disabled.  Looking for the best practices when having two Zentyal servers.  Last time I attempted two Zentyal servers dcpromo failed on the old 2003 box and the DNS_Zentyal domain account broke on the original server when I brought the new Zentyal server online.  As of now I have all 7 FSMO roles transferred to Zentyal.

1) Are there any gotchas on the dcpromo for a 2003 box as long as the FSMO roles are transferred?
2) Has anyone else had the DNS_Zentyal account problem with two Zentyals?
3) On the domain tab, do I set my first one up as "Domain controller" and the new one as "Additional Domain Controller"?
4) What else am I missing?  What, if any, functionality will I lose by tombstoning the 2003 server?

doncamilo

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
Re: best practices for two Zentyal servers
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2019, 03:47:45 pm »
 :)

Yes... The webadmin could be confusing when working with additional domain controlers which have bee promoted to FSMO owners. Read this: https://doc.zentyal.org/en/directory.html#total-migration

The point is that the Domain window in the Zentyal GUI doesn't reflects the changes produced when the controller is "promoted". Don't try to "update" the configuration in this window yourself! Simply, let it be.

If you are talking about the dns-hostname account when authenticates, it is a well known issue. Simply use the command

Code: [Select]
#check it please I'm doing it by heart
sudo samba-tool user setexpiry dns-$(hostname) --noexpiry

I didn't work with your working configuration. In your case I would make a lab before to proceed.

Cheers!
- Do my pigeons bother you passing over your land?
- They block the sun!

G. Guareschi., Don Camillo.,

sspeed

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: best practices for two Zentyal servers
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2019, 05:14:46 pm »
Thank you very much!