Author Topic: Repeatable networking problem after apt update on 6.0  (Read 2353 times)

stetho

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Repeatable networking problem after apt update on 6.0
« on: May 30, 2019, 11:51:43 am »
Hi,

I've been having problems with installing Zentyal 6.0 and then performing an apt upgrade. I have tried this on an i5 machine and a couple of VMs and get the same result every time.

1) Install Zentyal
2) Go through the initial setup
3) Run
Code: [Select]
sudo apt update4) Run
sudo apt upgrade
Result:

Network configuration disappears and a /etc/netplan/01-netcfg.yaml appears but netplan isn't installed

I've searched the forums and found https://forum.zentyal.org/index.php/topic,32523.msg109278.html#msg109278 that might be the same problem but it's partly in Russian and the given fix - apt purge ubuntu-minimal - doesn't work.

Because I've lost the network connection I can't easily copy and paste logs to this post. apt/history.log does say it's installed netplan.io

Anyone know why this keeps happening? Not upgrading packages seems to be the only fix.

doncamilo

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
Re: Repeatable networking problem after apt update on 6.0
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2019, 04:00:37 pm »
Hi,

I've been having problems with installing Zentyal 6.0 and then performing an apt upgrade. I have tried this on an i5 machine and a couple of VMs and get the same result every time.

1) Install Zentyal
2) Go through the initial setup
3) Run
sudo apt update4) Run
sudo apt upgrade
Result:

Network configuration disappears and a /etc/netplan/01-netcfg.yaml appears but netplan isn't installed

I've searched the forums and found https://forum.zentyal.org/index.php/topic,32523.msg109278.html#msg109278 that might be the same problem but it's partly in Russian and the given fix - apt purge ubuntu-minimal - doesn't work.

Because I've lost the network connection I can't easily copy and paste logs to this post. apt/history.log does say it's installed netplan.io

Anyone know why this keeps happening? Not upgrading packages seems to be the only fix.

Hi stetho,

You shoul use the wizard in order to make your first network setup.

This step can be a little annoying because if you are setting-up your server remotely you'll lost the connection if you had using the network interfaz that you declare "external" in the wizard due to the default firewall rules.

Zentyal doesn't uses yaml templates, nor netplan. Zentyal uses redis database in order to store the setted configurations and  uses perl templates. Both of them generate the config files for the ubuntu system that you expected found in /etc folder, etc.

You can use command line without problem, but, in order to make your settings persitent you have to make the changes throught the stubs. (You can edit, for instance, "/etc/network/interfaces" file, but Zentyal will re-generates this file with the stored settings each time the service will start)

Read this https://doc.zentyal.org/en/appendix-c.html

Cheers
- Do my pigeons bother you passing over your land?
- They block the sun!

G. Guareschi., Don Camillo.,

stetho

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2019, 09:49:03 am »
Hi,

Thanks for your reply but this isn't what is happening. The machine I'm setting it up on has one network interface. It works until an apt upgrade is performed whether I do it or it's done through the GUI. Upon restart /etc/network/interfaces is replaced with

# ifupdown has been replaced by netplan(5) on this system.  See
# /etc/netplan for current configuration.
# To re-enable ifupdown on this system, you can run:
#    sudo apt install ifupdown

But netplan isn't installed. just the default YAML file. For clarity, editing /etc/network/interfaces to put a network definition in doesn't help as I cant restart networking because the service has been moved. And because this has happened the computer doesn't even know where 127.0.0.1 is so I can't make changes locally through anything other than the command line.

This appears to be an apt manifest error.

doncamilo

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2019, 02:37:37 pm »
Hi,

Thanks for your reply but this isn't what is happening. The machine I'm setting it up on has one network interface. It works until an apt upgrade is performed whether I do it or it's done through the GUI. Upon restart /etc/network/interfaces is replaced with

# ifupdown has been replaced by netplan(5) on this system.  See
# /etc/netplan for current configuration.
# To re-enable ifupdown on this system, you can run:
#    sudo apt install ifupdown

But netplan isn't installed. just the default YAML file. For clarity, editing /etc/network/interfaces to put a network definition in doesn't help as I cant restart networking because the service has been moved. And because this has happened the computer doesn't even know where 127.0.0.1 is so I can't make changes locally through anything other than the command line.

This appears to be an apt manifest error.

Bizarre...

Do you have used a Zentyal 6.0 iso image in order to install your system or you have installed Zentyal on a pre-existent ubuntu system?

I haven't had succes when I have tried to reproduce your problem.

Could you please send me your whole  list of repositories?

Cheers!
- They block the sun!

stetho

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2019, 11:54:23 pm »
I've tried both. I can't repeat it if I install Zentyal on a fresh Ubuntu 18.04 install. This only happens on installs from the ISO.

doncamilo

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2019, 10:59:46 am »
I've tried both. I can't repeat it if I install Zentyal on a fresh Ubuntu 18.04 install. This only happens on installs from the ISO.

Hi stetho I have installed  Zentyal 6.0 iso on a VM (virtualbox) and I haven't been able to replicate your problem.
Could be useful the syslog file.
- They block the sun!

Lexa6283

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2019, 06:52:30 pm »
Did you have any luck with this issue? I have also lost internet access from the zentyal machine and can no longer perform updates as it can't reach the ubuntu servers. It seems to be dns related, as from the command line I can ping 8.8.8.8, however when attempting to ping using domain names, it fails. I did a fresh install on another VM, and internet was working just fine. Ran the updates and boom same thing......

Lexa6283

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2019, 02:59:38 pm »
Never mind on my issue, it was coincidence in regards to the updates being run. I had been trying to stop all internal zone-transfers for PCI compliance and after updates that day I had also tried to block them with a firewall rule and instead blocked internet access to the ip address of my dc LOL

doncamilo

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2019, 11:40:25 pm »
 :)

Please, run these commands and paste the output:

dpkg -l | grep -vE '^(ii|rc)'

This way you are checking your APT system looking for broken packages. I fear the apt upgrade crashes some packages (I think that some of the new packages are unconfigured due to some package requirements loop) In this case you can fix it removing the inconsistent package, and running this command:

sudo  dpkg --configure -a

It's possible that you'll have to run this command some times in order to  satisfy the packages dependecies.

Cheers!
- They block the sun!