Author Topic: [SOLVED] DNS and Samba conflicting after upgrade 5 -> 6  (Read 302 times)

rk

  • Zen Apprentice
  • *
  • Posts: 2
  • Karma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
[SOLVED] DNS and Samba conflicting after upgrade 5 -> 6
« on: July 22, 2019, 11:35:49 am »
Dear Forum,

I am running a (now) Zentyal 6 Developer Server on dedicated hardware for my Company. It is used mainly as AD-Controller/Samba-Server for Win Clients and hosting two virtual machines as well.

The Upgrade from 5 to 6 was very challenging, I had to solve a lot of errors, but I guess I finally made it, as aptitude reports no broken, missing or out-of-date-packages. Some trouble may have been caused by dist-upgrading - didn't know it was a bad idea then.

One final issue remains, though. When I reboot the server without samba/domain module, it runs fine. As soon as I activate samba, DNS breaks, and the UI hangs and reports an unknown state for dns module.

systemctl reports
Code: [Select]
● bind9.service - BIND Domain Name Server
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/bind9.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: failed (Result: signal) since Mon 2019-07-22 10:48:25 CEST; 18s ago
     Docs: man:named(8)
 Main PID: 6152 (code=killed, signal=SEGV)

Jul 22 10:48:25 server named[6152]: listening on IPv4 interface lo, 127.0.0.1#53
Jul 22 10:48:25 server named[6152]: listening on IPv4 interface lo, 127.0.1.1#53
Jul 22 10:48:25 server named[6152]: listening on IPv4 interface eth0, 10.10.1.2#53
Jul 22 10:48:25 server named[6152]: generating session key for dynamic DNS
Jul 22 10:48:25 server named[6152]: sizing zone task pool based on 25 zones
Jul 22 10:48:25 server named[6152]: Loading 'AD DNS Zone' using driver dlopen
Jul 22 10:48:25 server named[6152]: dlz_dlopen: incorrect version 3 should be 2 in '//usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/samba/bind9/dlz_bind9_10.so'
Jul 22 10:48:25 server named[6152]: dlz_dlopen of 'AD DNS Zone' failed
Jul 22 10:48:25 server systemd[1]: bind9.service: Main process exited, code=killed, status=11/SEGV
Jul 22 10:48:25 server systemd[1]: bind9.service: Failed with result 'signal'.

Some googlework did return something on that error, but nothing (for me) useful.

I am at a complete loss as to what I should do about the issue. The file indicated is not plain text (should it be?).
I'd try to purge and reinstall bind and/or samba, but it looks just like a configuration error. And, of course, I'd rather not want to lose my samba users and files... Don't know what purging samba does to them.

I would be really grateful for a helping hand and/or directions where to look or what to provide. And, as always, the thing has to work yesterday...

edit
http://www.techsphere.org/bind9-issues-when-upgrading-from-ubuntu-14-04-lts-to-16-04-1-lts/
This one seems to look similar (starting at approx. 1/3 of page), though I can't figure out which modifications to apply, and how, as the handling and placement of config files are somewhat different in zentyal...

Ralf
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 07:52:06 pm by rk »

rk

  • Zen Apprentice
  • *
  • Posts: 2
  • Karma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Re: DNS and Samba conflicting after upgrade 5 -> 6
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 06:25:26 pm »
    OK, I might have solved the problem. I pushed my luck and
    • purged bind9
    That took down
    • zentyal-dns and
    • zentyal-samba
    as well and left a couple of packages stranded. Trying to reinstall bind9 led to errors concerning conflicting dependencies. So I did an autoremove of the remains.

    Afterwards reinstalling bind9, zentyal-dns and zentyal-samba did the job apparently, Samba and bind seem to like each other again. Let's just see for how long.

    Thanks anyway
    Ralf

doncamilo

  • Zen Warrior
  • ***
  • Posts: 130
  • Karma: +22/-0
    • View Profile
Re: [SOLVED] DNS and Samba conflicting after upgrade 5 -> 6
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2019, 02:50:58 pm »
 :)

After upgrading It's useful to run these commands in order to check packages:

Code: [Select]
sudo dpkg -l | grep 'zentyal-'

So you'll see the installed version packages.

Code: [Select]
dpkg -l | egrep -v '^(ii|rc)'

In order to check for broken packages.

In your case, if I haven't had found broken packages or outdated package versions, I would have tried to change the BIND9 to the samba internal DNS server and afterwards to change to BIND9 again: https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Changing_the_DNS_Back_End_of_a_Samba_AD_DC

Regards!