Author Topic: Moving an eBox image around to other rigs  (Read 1735 times)

Saturn2888

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
Moving an eBox image around to other rigs
« on: April 08, 2010, 10:33:42 am »
Let's say I dd an image of my current eBox rig onto another machine. Will I be able to fix around things in eBox 1.5/2.0 if the Ethernet adapter names change? I used to have 4 Ethernet adapters in my rig for various reasons and now only have two. The problem is, they are labeled eth0 and eth3 in Linux. Is it possible those numbers would change to eth4 and eth5 should I boot onto a separate set of hardware and are those numbers changeable? I know eBox would have a hayday if it tried to bot up and eth0 and eth3 were missing.

Maybe eBox needs to be hardware-aware in some instances so you can just say the new eth4 is the old eth0 and the new eth5 is the old eth3. In fact, it would be easier on pretty much anyone if eBox had the ability to rename interfaces too so the eth3 I have can be eth1 and not be difficult for any sysadmin to figure out what's going on with missing Ethernet adapters or holes in the interface names.

I would personally like to move my server to a different set of hardware but don't have a good enough knowledge of eBox or Linux to do this without screwing up how eBox works.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 02:16:03 am by Saturn2888 »

ctek

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: [QUESTION] Moving an eBox image around to other rigs
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 01:12:58 pm »
Regarding your question on renaming the interfaces, Yes it is possible and also it is possible to specify how many adapters you have in your system.

Linux will self-ajust in most cases to the new hardware and the network interfaces will be "disabled" if they are not found. The problem remains with the rest of the scripts that will expect to have those interfaces.

Maybe a more experienced Linux admin could answer this.
From past experience i can tell you that i have moved the image of a linux machine to another machine and after correcting the new mac addresses it worked like a charm (the second machine had a 2 NIC setup also)

So, in short, it you can move the so from a machine to another with little intervention. if there are more experienced users they could advice you better.

Best regards
Bogdan

Saturn2888

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
Re: [QUESTION] Moving an eBox image around to other rigs
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 01:29:10 pm »
That's good information. Then I'll wait for someone who know's more specifics on how to actually execute this kind of a change.