Author Topic: Can not access Users after upgrading from v3 to v4  (Read 71 times)

csaitsupport

  • Zen Apprentice
  • *
  • Posts: 3
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Can not access Users after upgrading from v3 to v4
« on: July 09, 2019, 10:03:27 pm »
Hello,  We are using Zentyal as file server at our office.  The server was setup by the previous IT administrator (who was familiar with various Linux distributions and semi-retired).  I have very little knowledge.  We have made no changes since I joined my company.  I had to disable a user profile and contact the previous IT administrator.  He advised me on how to do this.   He also said that when he checked there was an update available to v4.0.  So we performed the upgrade.  After the upgrade when I select a user (or group) on the right side of the screen I get what looks like a green progress bar going back and forth.  But, nothing happens.  Any advise on how to fix this would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance, Nick

doncamilo

  • Zen Monk
  • **
  • Posts: 96
  • Karma: +11/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Can not access Users after upgrading from v3 to v4
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 10:49:21 am »
Hi!  :)

You should read the logs in order to debug the issue. You can find them on the "/var/log" folder and their subfolders this way:
Code: [Select]
sudo less /var/log/zentyal/zentyal.log
The most interestings in this case is zentyal.log. Don't be afraid for the logs jargon;  search into for Errors. (You can do searchs on the "less" console by typing  "/" followed for the searched term; "?" to search from end to init).
If you don't understand it or you need some more help paste the errors here.
This is the general way to abord a bug on GNU/Linux. In your case I think this issue could be consequence of some errors on the samba4 database. Check it with this command:
Code: [Select]
sudo samba-tool dbcheck --cross-ncs
If you have found some errors, you can try to fix them this way:
Code: [Select]
sudo samba-tool dbcheck --cross-ncs --fix
You can read really useful stuff here https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Updating_Samba#Samba_AD_DC_Database_Check
Cheers!

csaitsupport

  • Zen Apprentice
  • *
  • Posts: 3
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Can not access Users after upgrading from v3 to v4
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 08:21:38 pm »
Thanks.  I'll check the logs later today.

csaitsupport

  • Zen Apprentice
  • *
  • Posts: 3
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Can not access Users after upgrading from v3 to v4
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 10:04:47 pm »
Hi doncamilo   :),

I went thru the zentyal.log as you suggested.  Below are examples of the error message I found:

2019/07/07 07:49:28 ERROR> GlobalImpl.pm:835 EBox::GlobalImpl::modInstance - Module 'remoteservices' declared, but it has no classname. at Module 'remoteservices' declared, but it has no classname. at /usr/share/perl5/EBox/GlobalImpl.pm line 835

2019/07/07 07:49:28 ERROR> Service.pm:1001 EBox::Module::Service::restartService - Error restarting service: Module 'remoteservices' declared, but it has no classname.

2019/07/07 07:49:28 ERROR> Service.pm:1003 EBox::Module::Service::restartService - Module 'remoteservices' declared, but it has no classname. at Module 'remoteservices' declared, but it has no classname. at /usr/share/perl5/EBox/Module/Service.pm line 1003

2019/07/07 10:04:34 ERROR> GlobalImpl.pm:835 EBox::GlobalImpl::modInstance - Module 'remoteservices' declared, but it has no classname. at Module 'remoteservices' declared, but it has no classname. at /usr/share/perl5/EBox/GlobalImpl.pm line 835

I did some Google search, but the information did not relate to the problem I'm having.

The "sudo samba-tool dbcheck --cross-ncs" command did not find any errors.

Any suggestions to fix this problem is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Nick



doncamilo

  • Zen Monk
  • **
  • Posts: 96
  • Karma: +11/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Can not access Users after upgrading from v3 to v4
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2019, 11:09:02 am »
 :)

I don't have worked on so old Zentyal versions but in my opinion the key point is this: https://wiki.zentyal.org/wiki/Zentyal_4.0_Changelog#Removed_packages

The remoteservices module was removed on Zentyal 4.0. So, I think that you should remove this packages in order to fix the problem.

Use this command in order to view the zentyal packages that are installed:

Code: [Select]
sudo dpkg -l | grep 'zentyal-'

Once you'll know the 'remoteservices' package name, remove the remote services package this way:

Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get remove --purge <package-name>


Let me know if you need some help.

Cheers!