Author Topic: DYNDNS, Apache2 and other Pre-install questions  (Read 2229 times)

lotek

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
DYNDNS, Apache2 and other Pre-install questions
« on: May 23, 2008, 09:51:31 am »
Ok. So For the past week I've been going through testing and trying to get a decent web control panel working in Ubuntu Server (have been using 7.10, but am willing to update to 8.04). I have come to a stop. I'm tired of testing and tweaking and attempting to get something to work when my previous system of doing it from the command line was simpler. Then I stumbled here.

I have a few basic questions regarding whether or not this will work with my setup. Ok, so basically I use a free dyndns.org account to host 3 different domains currently. I searched the forums and didn't find a definitive answer, so does ebox work with dyndns? Am I going to have to do something weird with the DNS within ebox? Also, does it install ebox to run on the default port 80 and can I change it so that that's not accessible to the outside world and still run a site on that same domain name on port 80? (ie. blah.homelinux.com would show a site while blah.homelinux.com:40000 would be where I would go to get to ebox).  Also, does ebox create user directories and from there am I able to host sites with fqdn's to their home directories (ie /home/pinhead/www/)?

I apologize for so many questions. I'm just tired of wasting my time and I've been to a few other forums and some developers have been real jag's so I'm just kind of at my wits end. If this is the solution that is gonna work for me, then you can expect a dedicated user who's willing to throw in documentation, bug reports, etc. I'm a long time Linux user and an open source enthusiast so I'm willing to help out in whatever ways I can. I just need to find the solution that's going to work for me. Thanks for the help everyone.

sixstone

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • Sixstone's blog
Re: DYNDNS, Apache2 and other Pre-install questions
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 11:50:41 am »
I have a few basic questions regarding whether or not this will work with my setup. Ok, so basically I use a free dyndns.org account to host 3 different domains currently. I searched the forums and didn't find a definitive answer, so does ebox work with dyndns? Am I going to have to do something weird with the DNS within ebox? Also, does it install ebox to run on the default port 80 and can I change it so that that's not accessible to the outside world and still run a site on that same domain name on port 80? (ie. blah.homelinux.com would show a site while blah.homelinux.com:40000 would be where I would go to get to ebox).  Also, does ebox create user directories and from there am I able to host sites with fqdn's to their home directories (ie /home/pinhead/www/)?

eBox does not have a Web user interface to dynDNS in anyway. However, it's been suggested as future feature [1]. You won't have any issue with DNS module if it's not enabled. Even it is enabled, DNS module does not compete with dynDNS module.

eBox uses https standard port (443) to access to its UI, you may have a proper Web server listening on port 80 without a problem.

In eBox you may define port redirections as well as different firewall policies for external networks (Internet) to internal networks (LAN) or eBox host.

Finally, you may enable file sharing which creates home directories to those users created on LDAP automatically. Then using mod_ldapuserdir [2] to tweak your own Apache2 configuration, the feature request could be accomplished.

I apologize for so many questions. I'm just tired of wasting my time and I've been to a few other forums and some developers have been real jag's so I'm just kind of at my wits end. If this is the solution that is gonna work for me, then you can expect a dedicated user who's willing to throw in documentation, bug reports, etc. I'm a long time Linux user and an open source enthusiast so I'm willing to help out in whatever ways I can. I just need to find the solution that's going to work for me. Thanks for the help everyone.

No problem. Great to hear any suggestion/report/bug... ;)

[1] http://trac.ebox-platform.com/ticket/1007
[2] http://horde.net/~jwm/software/mod_ldap_userdir/
My secret is my silence...

lotek

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: DYNDNS, Apache2 and other Pre-install questions
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 06:10:06 pm »
Thanks so much for your reply. I'll give this one a shot and see if this is what I've been looking for.